UltravioletPhotography

Gift to myself

Nate

Something showed up yesterday, just waiting on some adapters (Thanks Fandyus for the thread size).  I'm guessing gold stays on the outside, and greenish on the inside.

Thinking of how the James Webb Telescope will be used for IR and has gold mirrors. First tests showed exposure time dramatically decreased compared to my previous mix of filters, pretty excited. 

baader small.png

Congratulations on the Baader-U :)

Does anyone have a comparison of the versions (inc. Comparison images and recording dates)?

Mine is from 2015 (yellow / pink) ... 

3 hours ago, Doug A said:

Congrats on the Baader. What filter stack is it replacing? Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Thanks,

Doug A.

Thanks Doug. I had an Antilia venus that leaked way too much past 400nm so I put a few torch filters (claimed to be zwb2's) in the front. The Antilia blocked the ir really well, but it is a 1.25. So my whole stack was made of duct tape and plastic caps with way too many airgaps and internal reflections. But it got me into uv while I saved for the baader.

This is good. I still don’t have a Baader. I ended up with Schott UG11 and S8612 as my UV stack, with a lot of Omega and Thorlabs bandpass filters as backup. 

On 10/30/2021 at 5:23 AM, Nate said:

Thanks Doug. I had an Antilia venus that leaked way too much past 400nm so I put a few torch filters (claimed to be zwb2's) in the front. The Antilia blocked the ir really well, but it is a 1.25. So my whole stack was made of duct tape and plastic caps with way too many airgaps and internal reflections. But it got me into uv while I saved for the baader.

What'd that look like, a mostly UV image with violet in it?

4 hours ago, Fandyus said:

What'd that look like, a mostly UV image with violet in it?

When I held the Antilia up to a regular light bulb I could see blue and purple visual, and pics where nothing like on here. When I put some torch filters in front, I had way too long exposure time and a greenish look to the foliage with proper white balance on plumbers tape. The strange thing I found after going out today with the baader on the 50-2, white balance on concrete forgot my w/b card, I still see the poo green. I screwed a zbw2 behind the baader and got worse. I still need to do more tests, but might need a deeper uv lens

unprocessed convert to png, and resized baader only

473281005_baadernoprocessing.png.cef409d1889c1b285532c153d4b238f8.png

10 minutes ago, colinbm said:

Looks good to me.

Yeah, I'm thinking my iso is causing issues, I used 1600 and it's a Canon T7 that's crappy with higher iso. My full spectrum 77D should show up within a couple days, and that's a bit better with everything. Hopefully it'll be sunny tomorrow to do some more tests.

36 minutes ago, Nate said:

When I held the Antilia up to a regular light bulb I could see blue and purple visual, and pics where nothing like on here. When I put some torch filters in front, I had way too long exposure time and a greenish look to the foliage with proper white balance on plumbers tape. The strange thing I found after going out today with the baader on the 50-2, white balance on concrete forgot my w/b card, I still see the poo green. I screwed a zbw2 behind the baader and got worse. I still need to do more tests, but might need a deeper uv lens

unprocessed convert to png, and resized baader only

473281005_baadernoprocessing.png.cef409d1889c1b285532c153d4b238f8.png

Deeper lens? That shouldn't be, I never had issues with the Industar 50-2.

6 minutes ago, Fandyus said:

Deeper lens? That shouldn't be, I never had issues with the Industar 50-2.

Maybe also I'm being too critical, trying to match the other baader shots on here with my equipment. I need to do more shots. 

7 hours ago, Nate said:

Maybe also I'm being too critical, trying to match the other baader shots on here with my equipment. I need to do more shots. 

I still don't know what exactly is your problem though. If you suspect a leak, you should make a post with attached images.

Edit: I just realized you did post an image, you could post more but I think it looks completely fine.

5 hours ago, Fandyus said:

I still don't know what exactly is your problem though. If you suspect a leak, you should make a post with attached images.

Edit: I just realized you did post an image, you could post more but I think it looks completely fine.

It is completely fine. I just had color tone all messed up on my camera preset. Just tested both my 50mm's, and the Industar  is great stopped down a bit.

edit done.png

6 minutes ago, Nate said:

Thanks, I hopefully will go after some real targets soon

I like the color scheme of the following pictures very much, because the sky is getting a pale blue instead of yellow and the foreground is more towards brown-beige.
You just have to turn the Hue color wheel around 130-170 °. 

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/3176-kolomenskoye-park-moscow-russia/

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/3075-south-west-of-france/

1 hour ago, Nate said:

It is completely fine. I just had color tone all messed up on my camera preset. Just tested both my 50mm's, and the Industar  is great stopped down a bit.

edit done.png

Glad to hear!

58 minutes ago, Kai said:

I like the color scheme of the following pictures very much, because the sky is getting a pale blue instead of yellow and the foreground is more towards brown-beige.
You just have to turn the Hue color wheel around 130-170 °. 

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/3176-kolomenskoye-park-moscow-russia/

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/3075-south-west-of-france/

Hmmm, I kinda like this way better. So much to play around with. Thanks for the Idea 

gg.png