UltravioletPhotography

More high mountain IR and UV landscapes

microbat52

Did some more mountain landscapes! The snow made it all awesome. 

Hope you enjoy! These are taken in the Sierra Nevada in California at about 10000ft / 3000m

These are all done with my nikon coolpix and cheapo chinese filters. The IR is 720nm from amazon, channels swapped and fake colour edited to my fancy.

The UV this time are done with a ZWB2 (thanks Fandiyus!) and a BG39 from tangsinuo. The ZWB2 did help a lot with transmition compared to ZWB1, i can get something half decent using rocks instead of tripod. 

Set 1.

IMG-20211027-214028.jpg

IMG-20211027-214038.jpg

Set 2.

IMG-20211027-214125.jpg

IMG-20211027-214134.jpg

Set 3.
IMG-20211027-214155.jpg

IMG-20211027-214205.jpg

Set 4.
IMG-20211027-214103.jpg

IMG-20211027-214113.jpg

Set 5.
IMG-20211027-213954.jpg

IMG-20211027-214006.jpg

15 minutes ago, colinbm said:

What a great collection.
BG39 from tangsinuo ? BG39 is made by Schott.

He defenetly makes an IR block called BG39.

1 hour ago, microbat52 said:

He defenetly makes an IR block called BG39.

Tangsinuo uses the name "Optima QB39"

spectacular images, the IR ones are much more beautiful than the UV ones.

Great shots! There's just something about UV and IR landscapes that pulls me in. I haven't been shooting UV and IR for a full year and have been wondering what snow shots will look like. I tend to get quite a bit here in Idaho.

I have always been fascinated by the way snow really pops out in UV landscapes--part of the effect is that so many other surfaces are relatively UV-dark. White water gives similar contrast effects.

Impressive: the mountains and your pictures ;)
The NIR images look more artistic. They are more beautiful and more pleasing. It's always like that.

But I think the UV images also have their charm. They are much more barren and rougher. And always with the atmosphere of the old photo pioneers of the 19th century.
Great job! 

40 minutes ago, Bill De Jager said:

I'm really liking these images, and I don't usually like false-color digital IR.

Same. I think its the snow. If there wasnt snow i would leave it in B&W with the trees as the white point. 

Thanks for the nice words!

I know. These outdoors landscape photos are killing me. I even cracked open the lcd panel on my a6000 last night. To no avail the ribbon cables were secure. 

Now I’m debating with Enrico which used beater A7 I should buy. 

Thank you, Microbat, for these beautiful pictures. It is nice to see the comparison between UV an IR of the same stunning landscapes, and see how the wavelengths behave differently while enjoying the details of the view. 

Did some Yosemite valley, trying to decide what is more Ansel Adams, the extreme IR contrast or the black trees and vintage feel?

(Im having some distorsion, poor camera and setup are doing their best)

Upper Yosemite falls

IR

IMG-20211108-181359.jpg

UV
IMG-20211108-181409.jpg

Liberty cap and Nevada falls

IR 
IMG-20211108-181445.jpg

UV
IMG-20211108-181456.jpg

Hah, it is SUPER Ansel Adams-ish. Just need to dodge and burn them all over for the true Adams touch. He would have loved photoshop. 

Ironically, Adams hated IR photographs--he thought the white foliage due to the Wood Effect ugly. What he might have thought about UV, who knows

1 hour ago, OlDoinyo said:

Ironically, Adams hated IR photographs--he thought the white foliage due to the Wood Effect ugly. What he might have thought about UV, who knows

Ha! Thats quite funny.

I thought he was kinda into the use of red filters though. Guess that gives the sky contrast withought the white trees.