UltravioletPhotography

oranges, lemons, walnuts and a bannana

I wanted to take a UV picture of some fruits, it's rather challenging due to the fact that many objects become extremely glossy in UV, and having a lot of blown out areas is not good in a photo. I illuminated this with the Nemo torch because I wanted the light to be as diffused as possible, so I moved around during the exposure. I also took the liberty of posting the UV image in a little higher quality than usual, I hope the admins will forgive me. The image was retouched a lot by me, as I intend to make a large print of it with the printer that I have access to in my school.

fruits_365.jpg.01470eacb340936d2c5a1297c328504f.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg.9dd8f54b53a8db0e7cad372cf927b464.jpg

I also released a different picture taken during the same session on my Unsplash.

https://unsplash.com/photos/FyItCW5tHXY

Given that this is Unsplash, you all can use it freely in any way you want. If it suits your needs.

Looks good, Fandyus.

I was musing about the fact that the skin of the citrus fruits is UV-absorbing but also reflects specularly. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised because the same thing happens with visible light. 😀

Bananas are always interesting in UV.

26 minutes ago, Andrea B. said:

Looks good, Fandyus.

I was musing about the fact that the skin of the citrus fruits is UV-absorbing but also reflects specularly. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised because the same thing happens with visible light. 😀

Bananas are always interesting in UV.

Thanks, the banana has actually been darkened in post processing to make the overall image look better. I also added contrast to the skin. And yes, the specular reflections on the citruses make them look almost metallic. I wish I had the money to afford two UV polarizers so that I could remove them. Would make the images a lot more easy to handle for my EOS 1100D. I think UV images look much more interesting without the extreme specular reflections anyhow.

Impressive pictures - a beautiful still life!

I also find it exciting that the shine in the UV appears much more pronounced here.

Is that because the absorption is much stronger underneath (and therefore the reflected portion is only relatively higher)?
Or is this just because of the other lamps (softer in UV)? 

1 hour ago, Kai said:

I also find it exciting that the shine in the UV appears much more pronounced here.

Is that because the absorption is much stronger underneath (and therefore the reflected portion is only relatively higher)?

Thank you! Although I know the fruit basket is not as beautiful as it could be, I didn't prep it in any way, just grabbed it from the living room.

I'm not sure what you're referring to but I did not use any other UV lamps, only the Nemo torch, which is a 365nm LED light.

5 hours ago, Kai said:

The UVA doesn't penetrate the skin like IR does.

11 hours ago, colinbm said:

The UVA doesn't penetrate the skin like IR does.

Yes - that sounds good, Colin :)
With Blender (3D computer graphics software toolset) you can gradually adjust the "subsurface scattering". That´s exactly the effect... 

14 hours ago, microbat52 said:

This is stunning, really beautiful! 

Guess I have to copy you now..... 

Thanks! Feel free to do so :D