UltravioletPhotography

Unknown wild(?) flower

Andy Perrin

I was out on one of my long (20 mile) walks yesterday, and I found this flower growing by the side of the road in pine forest (in case that's a clue). I took as many different photos as I could because there is no chance whatever of taking more, or even finding it again, but it was gorgeous. The leaves were gigantic, larger than my hand and as long as my forearm. 

I have a couple of other photos on my other camera that I haven't uploaded yet of the blossom.

IMG_2234.jpg.7ecc690ad59dfb10a18167b4de07e7bb.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

It looks like it might be some species of Canna Lily. It would help to see a larger photo of the flower if you have one?

I don't think there are any Cannas which grow wild in New England? It is odd to see a Canna by the side of the road. But seeds and bulbs do travel in various ways, sometimes via rodents or birds.

https://extension.umass.edu/plant-identification/canna-lily

At that link, click up the photo of the yellow flower thumbnailed under Growth Habit.

Canna flowers can have different forms. Some have a tubular center petal or petals. Some are more open.

So odd and out of place, like Star Lord's father Ego from Guardians of the Galaxy Part 2.  Someone had cut back the overgrown brush right up to this thing. It got blasted with clippings, though so they had the mind to leave it alone. I don't see much in the way of burnt tips or insect damage. The leaves almost looks dusty like a house plant sprayed with water bottle. If they don't overwinter in that zone then was it a roadside memorial placed annually?

I doubt anyone cut any brush there. It’s pine forest, they tend to stay open like that. See how you can see between the trees? Those aren’t cuttings on top, they are pine needles. they fall down from the trees. (It is possible some pine needles also got tossed up from the road by leaf blower people this time of year.)

Andrea, I will see if I got any more good shots of the flower itself. I’m still processing the other camera. 

I see some Poison Ivy (P. Oak??) growing to the right in the next-to-last photo. Any New England rambler knows to beware of that stuff!! And there are at least two kinds of oak leaves scattered around.

I'm 99% sure it's a Canna, but will check later (no hurry) if you post more of the flower.

Andrea, can you circle it? There are times when being red-green colorblind is an inconvenience…

---

Here is the flower:

_DSC9923 copy.jpg

Yep, that is a canna. They are popular garden flowers, but one might escape cultivation now and then. The smaller triple pinnate-compound foliage in the background of the first photo (showing partial fall coloration) is Toxicodendron radicans.

Agreed. It is a canna. 🙂

Andy, here's a screen shot of the Poison Ivy next to the canna. "Leaves of three, let it be."

poisonIvy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I would think its a Canna Lily also… here in Texas we sometimes see tropical exotics growing “wild” that we say “fell off the bulb truck” 😱