UltravioletPhotography

IR fireworks & yearly local fair

Marco Lagemaat

Yesterday I took the opportunity try my first IR's (and some full spectrum).  And boy.... this is awesome. I'm quite satisfied.

in particular the last IR from the firework. so crisp, so overwhelming. 

Nikon D70s, Prinz Galaxy 35mm 3.5, 200 iso, f/8,  8",  fullspectrum; 

DSC_0487.jpg.cf03befafb872c815eaec5ae2fd08231.jpg

Nikon D70s, Prinz Galaxy 35mm 3.5, 200 iso, f/8,  30",  fullspectrum;

DSC_0495.jpg.ec29ac73b15768b5056e4b08f71b9f66.jpg

Nikon D70s, Prinz Galaxy 35mm 3.5, 200 iso, f/8,  8",  fullspectrum;

DSC_0491.jpg.16afeea9014685d2ebf703ab900f99c8.jpg

Nikon D70s, Prinz Galaxy 35mm 3.5, 200 iso, f/11,  2", ZWB3 (UG5)

1588876604_DSC_05541.jpg.4a9a85f4954a18b94920341c89279a1d.jpg

Nikon D70s, Prinz Galaxy 35mm 3.5, 200 iso, f/22,  2", 850nm  

DSC_0613.jpg.a0c3e80b0827f89f546afc2c54d6e655.jpg

Nikon D70s, Prinz Galaxy 35mm 3.5, 200 iso, f/22,  2", 850nm  

DSC_0614.jpg.e8ba266b112dee2b12dc8eebeae9bfd5.jpg

I hope that wasn't a backyard display. 

The arcs are interesting in IR.

This makes me wonder if multiple cameras are set up for visual,  IR and UV with same shutter speed and focal length,  what the trail differences would look like.

You might even be able to see some really deep UV from fireworks depending on what color is used and whats being burnt.

Marco Lagemaat
4 hours ago, dabateman said:

I hope that wasn't a backyard display. 

The arcs are interesting in IR.

This makes me wonder if multiple cameras are set up for visual,  IR and UV with same shutter speed and focal length,  what the trail differences would look like.

You might even be able to see some really deep UV from fireworks depending on what color is used and whats being burnt.

That is almost exactly what I thought. But I thought of three  cameras and shoot them synced each with a different IR wavelength and then stack all the same color channels to one new RGB image and then (hopefully) see some color.  But than you need small band pass filters. I guess. 

I could do two channels at once with my stereo attachment. You can’t do IR and UV with same shutter speed directly though! Too many stops difference. You could find some kind of neutral density filter for IR maybe and reduce the brightness down to UV levels?

42 minutes ago, Andy Perrin said:

I could do two channels at once with my stereo attachment. You can’t do IR and UV with same shutter speed directly though! Too many stops difference. You could find some kind of neutral density filter for IR maybe and reduce the brightness down to UV levels?

Andy,

Its fireworks at 2 second exposure time.  It might be possible. 

I just don't have fireworks.  I don't even have a magnesium road flare to test. But I am thinking it would be like that. 

We got enough UV off a candle, fireworks should be easier. 

Haha no you are missing my point. It’s not that it’s too dim, it’s that the exposure is orders of magnitude different for UV and IR. If you record one properly, the other will be either all black or all white in a single image capture. There is more than enough light, it’s just the difference between the sensitivity to UV and IR that’s the problem. 

Marco Lagemaat

3 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

Yeah, I understand what you mean. But I meant only IR.  So for example;

All in sync:

720nm RGB -->, RRR (swap from 850nm, 950nm) --> making a new RGB

850nm RGB -->, GGG (swap from 720nm, 950nm)--> making a new RGB

950nm RGB -->. BBB (swap from 720nm, 850nm)--> making a new RGB

Marco Lagemaat
2 hours ago, dabateman said:

Andy,

Its fireworks at 2 second exposure time.  It might be possible. 

I just don't have fireworks.  I don't even have a magnesium road flare to test. But I am thinking it would be like that. 

We got enough UV off a candle, fireworks should be easier. 

nice 😆. maybe  start a new topic  Fire&Photo 😃😉

Marco Lagemaat
3 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

Handy!! stereo I saw you're topic! Must be worth a try do.

Marco, these are fantastic photos.

I love seeing the Ferris Wheel patterns.

And fireworks in IR really rock!

• 4 weeks later...