UltravioletPhotography

Sony new UV optimized sensor

dabateman

Well Sony hasn't forgotten about UV. All the optimization to cut UV from recent sensors must help for this manufacturing sensor. 

But its impressive,  200-400nm range,

192 frames per second global shutter. 

You can almost do 4K video on your manufacturing line. 

Its 2856 (H) × 2848 (V) in 2/3 sensor size.

But we may see this in an astro camera. You never know. 

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/news/2021/2021092901.html

Actually not too surprising.  The BSI IMX477 sensor that is the raspberry pi HQ camera can do 10 fps at full resolution 4056x3040 and 1332x990 at 120 fps. But is rolling shutter and a smaller sensor size. 

So what's impressive is the global shutter mode, and full uv without sensor artifacts due to modification. 

But would no doubt be much more expensive than the MaxMax monochrome HQ sensor.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

After what seems like an age, I have got one of these IMX487 based cameras for testing. Some early data on it to share - sensitivity testing, and how it stacks up vs my monochrome Nikon d850 and Altair astro camera. Link to the work here - https://jmcscientificconsulting.com/mini-uv-camera-matrix-vision-bluecougar-with-the-sony-imx487-sensor-spectral-sensitivity/

No nice images to share yet. Those will come when I have a little more time, but early signs look good. At least it is nice an sensitive.

@JMC,

So twice as sensitive at 360nm than your D850 and much more at every wavelength below that. Quite nice.

But I disagree,  that work bench is clearly not disorganized enough. 

Mine is covered in boxes now. I need to unpack my stuff still.

7 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

Can’t wait to see some microscopy with it!

Some very initial images using 254nm light here Andy - https://jmcscientificconsulting.com/mini-uv-camera-initial-diatom-images-using-254nm-light/

I'm getting some banding artifacts with it, but I have fed that back to the camera maker to see if there can be anything that can be done with it. Keep in mind these were long exposure and high gain. Even with a sensitive sensor it is still a challenge to get the images.

Nice Jonathan 

Using R= 0.61(254nm)/NA(being 0.65) you have roughly 238nm as the minimum distance between resolvable points. If everything is perfectly aligned. 

The rings of darkness looks like you have some type of interference in your optics. 

David, yes, that's what I calculated. I think there are a couple of things with regards to the artifacts. I think there is some issue with the optics, but it only happens at 254nm with this light source. All very odd. I think the banding though is the camera, as I wasn't getting it with my other cameras. Early days though, and this was only the first attempt using it on the microscope. I'm going to try it at 313nm with my other light source, and see if any of the issues resolve themselves.

32 minutes ago, Andy Perrin said:

Some kind of aliasing artifact maybe? These are very cool results Jonathan! You have the best toys. 

Thanks Andy. More work needed on the artifacts before I can say anything really. I want to nail down when it does and does not show itself, and as of yet I just haven't used it under a wide enough range of conditions. I am lucky enough to be able to invest in some of these things for my work and then use them for fun stuff as well. However I have a cupboard full of stuff which didn't work as expected, so it has been an expensive exercise over the last few years. I certainly couldn't have done it if I was not using the stuff for work.