UltravioletPhotography

testing many of my filters + + 365nm led light torch

photoni

I haven't bought the ZWB-1 filter yet
with the black filter (maybe ZWB-2 1mm) of the Alonefire 10w 365nm flashlight I did this test. (last photo BG39 + BG 25 + black filter)
the result is amazing all the flowers are black
What ?

P.S. A7 + Nikkor-H 50 f8~

6158_.jpg.97d1d845a28c52e79c68a025c5070596.jpg

If the ZWB2 is only 1mm thick it won't do. It works very well with BG39 but you need at least 2mm worth of the glass.

For ZWB1 you need at least 4mm with 2mm BG39, as ZWB1 is more prone to leaking red.

3 hours ago, Fandyus said:

If the ZWB2 is only 1mm thick it won't do. It works very well with BG39 but you need at least 2mm worth of the glass.

For ZWB1 you need at least 4mm with 2mm BG39, as ZWB1 is more prone to leaking red.

I took the photos again in the afternoon, without sun, with only blue sky light (east)
... Surely with there is no IR
I added a yellow daisy, some plumbago, and a small white nicotiana flower

6194--.jpg.69185cd559f6413860da8609ff9c7b9f.jpg

8 hours ago, Doug A said:

I really like the colors of your BG 39/BG25 night image.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Thanks

7 hours ago, colinbm said:

Toni, there are 3 different ZWB filters. ZWB1, ZWB2 & ZWB3, which did you use ?
Did you use Schott BG39 & BG25 or Chinese filters ?

BG39 is Chinese, BG39 and BG18 is Jena glass bought in Germany

I don't have ZWB filters (I have to order ZWB-1 a 4mm ? 8mm?)

for the photos I used the black filter of the Alonefire 10w 365nm flashlight ... I think ZWB-2 - 1mm

5 hours ago, dabateman said:

Colin since its from a flashlight its most likely a ZWB2 filter. Those are the cheapest and most common.

Yes I think so

4 hours ago, colinbm said:

Also Toni, there is plenty of IR even when in shade or cloudy.

Few IR from the blue sky from the east + BG39 = almost zero

Thanks

53 minutes ago, colinbm said:

If you don't call a filter by its proper name it is like comparing oranges to apples to bananas, it is nonsense.

Colin ... I said that in the first text ... I think it's blackbanana-2 1mm  :-)))

8 minutes ago, photoni said:

Colin ... I said that in the first text ... I think it's blackbanana-2 1mm  :-)))

BG39 is Chinese, BG39 and BG18 is Jena glass bought in Germany
But what are they really, not nearly ?

33 minutes ago, colinbm said:

But what are they really, not nearly ?

Colin I'm a curious newbie
I bought a battered full spectrum and cheap filters to emulate silver
then I discovered a fantastic world, but I don't do it for work or for economic interest
i am happy to experiment
and I'm sorry if sometimes I ask questions and give trivial and not very technical answers.

24 minutes ago, photoni said:

Colin I'm a curious newbie
I bought a battered full spectrum and cheap filters to emulate silver
then I discovered a fantastic world, but I don't do it for work or for economic interest
i am happy to experiment
and I'm sorry if sometimes I ask questions and give trivial and not very technical answers.

No curious newbie.
I know that, I for one, find it had to help you when given inaccurate information.
I am trying to help you, but you need to be accurate with your information.

Colin,

I don't think he is looking for filter help yet. He is just having fun taking images with his filters and I think looking to see whom likes that look.

Just have fun, lighting will change soon and things might be different.  As winter is coming outside UV changes.

Or change your indoor lighting to emphasize a color from your filters.

Like using a black light compact fluorescent bulb instead of a 365nm led or horrible incandescent black light bulb used to cook eggs. They need to get super hot to push out any UV.

23 hours ago, dabateman said:

Colin,

I don't think he is looking for filter help yet. He is just having fun taking images with his filters and I think looking to see whom likes that look.

Just have fun, lighting will change soon and things might be different.  As winter is coming outside UV changes.

Or change your indoor lighting to emphasize a color from your filters.

Like using a black light compact fluorescent bulb instead of a 365nm led or horrible incandescent black light bulb used to cook eggs. They need to get super hot to push out any UV.

How does the UV outside "change" during the winter?

44 minutes ago, Fandyus said:

How does the UV outside "change" during the winter?

We that live in the Northern hemisphere will have the sun drop lower in the sky as it becomes winter. Colin is lucky in the Southern hemisphere as he is about to get to his summer and more UV. But If you live really North the days are short, the sun is low, the UV levels are also lower. More atmosphere for the uv rays to pass through to get to you on the ground. 

For me the sun is already below my house at noon (in the southern part of the sky). The uv level is noticeable lower.

Yep. Just like at sunset, most of the blue and UV light gets scattered back towards space, while the red is leftover so that’s what we see. 

On 10/16/2021 at 1:39 PM, dabateman said:

We that live in the Northern hemisphere will have the sun drop lower in the sky as it becomes winter. Colin is lucky in the Southern hemisphere as he is about to get to his summer and more UV. But If you live really North the days are short, the sun is low, the UV levels are also lower. More atmosphere for the uv rays to pass through to get to you on the ground. 

For me the sun is already below my house at noon (in the southern part of the sky). The uv level is noticeable lower.

I see, thanks.