UltravioletPhotography

What ionic filter stack is closest to Baader U performance?

Doug A

The Baader doesn't work well front mounted on a wide angle lens. There isn't an easy way to rear mount it on my FF DSLR. So what filter stack is closest in performance?

Thanks,

Doug A

Best filter stack is 2mm S8612 and 2mm U360.  That is better IR blocked than the Baader and costs less. For the difference you could get a Nikkor 80mm EL f5.6 lens. 

If you search you will see Andrea has tested that stack against the Baader and other filters numerous times. 

Yes, you can't go wrong with a U-360 x 2.0 mm + S8612 x 2.0 mm.

Although I do note that the BaaderU transmits more than any stack, so expect slightly longer exposure times with a stack. Also the BaaderU peaks at 350 nm and the stacks usually hit around 360 nm. I don't think that's anything to particularly fret over, just mentioning the facts.

More "best stacks" can be found here:

51 minutes ago, Doug A said:

Thanks @dabatemanand @Andrea B.. Unfortunately, right now,  a 52mm S8612 2mmm filter is rarer than a Nikon Rayfact 105 or UAT 85 Takumar. No one has them in stock.  Considering the Andrea U mk II. 

Thanks,

Doug A

Whaat? Cadmium has it on his site:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/268964968/schott-s8612-52mm-other-sizes-x-2mm?ref=pla_sameshop_listing_top-1

You could always ask Cadmium for a ETA of the 52mm S8612 2mm.

After all 52mm is one of the most common dimensions used for UV-photography and I expect that he will eventually get the stock refilled.

BG39, 2mm has the same IR-blocking but normally with a bit less transmission in the UV-A region.