UltravioletPhotography

Good afternoon from New Jersey

CharlesS

Good day all:

I'm gradually developing my knowledge base on capturing ultraviolet images, an area that I hadn't previously pursued under my mistaken assumption that I would need one of the expensive quartz lenses from Nikon (or similar).  Anyhow, I recently converted an older Fujifilm S5 Pro to a UV only paradigm, after which I realized that I would need to source an appropriate lens.  

My previous experience with UV turned out to be rather disappointing, as I had been using a Fujifilm UVIR camera that was produced largely for the forensics user.  I had not realized that the UV pass filter was letting sufficient IR through the lens that it was overwhelming the sensor.  Some years later, I converted a Nikon D7100 into an IR-only camera, and have been able to capture some very impressive images, and quite easily while hiking outdoors, for instance.

Anyhow, I'd love to be able to effectively capture flowers and various plants, insects and animals, and various other landscape ideas in UV. Attached is an image of the sort that I love to capture in IR, blending foliage with old stone buildings and structures.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions going forward...

Thanks all! 

Chatham edifice Aug 2019 .jpg

Welcome to our small, but friendly, "invisible" corner of cyberspace.

I have used the Fuji S5Pro quite a lot for UV, IR, and combinations. You do need a decent lens for it, but there are many to select from, F-mount lenses being so plentiful. An older 50mm F71.8 Nikkor might be a starting point is you don't own one already. Plus there are scores of UV-capable 35mm f/3.5 lenses available. I'm certain members will pitch in with their suggestions.

Welcome. Excellent image. Mixing nature and architecture is cool. Looking forward to seeing more of your images. 

Thanks,

Doug A