UltravioletPhotography

Thysanotus manglesianus

I think I'm progressing on my UVR journey a little now.  step by step.

I have received a sheet of white PTFE which I have used to do the white balances on the images below.  Colour has not been adjusted from the in-camera WB.

Next upgrade will be a modified flash to free me of the restraints of ambient light photography

em5mk1 full spectrum converted

Enna München Lithagon 35mm f3.5 

Kolari UV bandpass filter

ambient sunlight

This is Thysanotus manglesianus, the twining fringe lily.

Visible close up

P9210001.jpg.7dc122bcf90ca19c4ce4b43d0bcad8cc.jpg

UV close up

P9210005.jpg.0acff80538021d0d766055336a0b123c.jpg

UV wide

P9210020.jpg.259e98de007c7a751acaa2797b1d8ceb.jpg

IR720 wide

P9210021.jpg.99671f235505da36b54210c54823dc2a.jpg

IR720 close up

P9210015.jpg.3b7fe3a665e27193313fd9770d6cc9b5.jpg

Thanks everyone,

I feel there is still much room for improvement but as I say earlier; step by step.

Focal stacking and a suitably diffused flash will really make an enormous difference and then I think I will be ready to contribute to the botanicals section properly

I would accept this series now in the botanical section ! This Lily is fascinating in UV.

20 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

I would accept this series now in the botanical section ! This Lily is fascinating in UV.

Thanks Andrea,

I would like to do this project justice so I will keep refining until I am happy with the results. 😅

I will hopefully get a nice windless period in the coming week and I will set up the macro focusing rail for some stacked images of this lovely flower.

The flash will be a little while away yet. 

Yes, a UV-flash will be very useful. It permits you to take a flower sample indoors and photograph it without wind, dust and rain getting in the way. The UV-flash is also useful outdoors to get shorter exposures when shooting a flower close-up. (Or any other subject.)

In the US I am careful not to cut wildflower samples unless I know they are abundant. On our public lands (national parks, for example) such cuttings are prohibited. I totally respect that. We need to preserve as much as we can these days with the world in such a mess. Does Australia have similar laws about cutting wildflowers in national parks? I have occasionally asked a ranger for perms to cut a wildflower and occasionally such perms are granted.

Anything growing along a non-park roadside which can be potentially mowed or trampled is fair game though! I've found some of my coolest wildflowers growing happily in the dust and roadside litter.