UltravioletPhotography

Some questions about Nemo torch and UVIVFL

Doug A

The Nemo flashlights arrived. Their special filters look similar to a ZWB1. What camera filters are they comparable to? When using the torches with supplied filter, is an UV filter still required on the camera lens? If so, can the UV filter be added to the flashlight?

I walked around outside in the dark with a torch and found some nice subjects. So glad there aren't neighbors to explain the goggles and weird light to.

Thanks,

Doug A

The Nemo comes with ZWB already on the flashlight. You need a filter on the camera because if you simply shine the torch on an object you will get both the reflected UV and the UVIVF. You typically want just one or the other, so you need to filter out either visible or UV. Also, if you haven’t blocked all other sources of light in the room then you will get contamination from whatever else is ambient (vis, IR, etc.)

Most likely its ZWB2 on the flashlight. That glass is equivalent to Hoya U360 or Schott UG1. It may still allow a little visible blue pass through, but the Leds on the flashlight are good and don't bleed too much into visible. Yes you want that filter on the flashlight to minimize visible light from the flashlight.

Andy explained well why you need filtration on your camera.

Don't worry your neighbors will always find something to think you're weird.

Thanks for the info Andy Perrin and dabateman. Looking to see if I have a 67mm UV filter around the house. If not, a Tiffen 2A will be on order.

Luckily I live in the woods and there are no neighbors within 1/4 mile. :)

Thanks,

Doug A

So what brand is your 'Nemo' torch? I need to figure out how to reference these for our reader.

Look for mushrooms and fungi. There can be some wild fluor there.

So what brand is your 'Nemo' torch? I need to figure out how to reference these for our reader.

If we knew that, it wouldn't be called Nemo (Latin for "no name").

Andrea B, I followed a link posted here. The fine print tech specs, in the eBay ad, list the brand as Wanfire. The seller is whbestseller_2019.

Without a link to follow, it can be tracked down via features. Look for filtered, 15 watt 365nm 4 led assembly. Ad shows LEDs and bright green Wanfire 26650 battery.

Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/15W-365nm-Ultraviolet-UV-LED-Flashlight-Blacklight-Pet-Urine-Stain-Inspect-Torch/233620900023?var=533325661007&pageci=92a44fe1-e3d8-4b77-9ca7-c9f4e0583133&redirect=mobile

Flashlight is available separately or with battery and charger. I've never seen this battery size. Glad I ordered the flashlight with battery and charger. These lights are larger and brighter than anticipated.

Thanks,

Doug A

Doug -

There has been quite a lot of technical evaluations made of the Nemo torch here.

I was the one to first discover it and to post about it here on the forum.

https://www.ultravio..._hl__challenger

Later I made more measurements of it's electrical characteristics:

https://www.ultravio...llenger__st__40

The stated power in the ad is not correct, just as for almost all torches sold.

The Nemo is till very nice and has a strong powerful optical output.

The battery and charger in the kit is less impressive.

If you are interested look for more information on the site.

I have posted much valid correct information about that torch here and tried to make clear how this actually works.

Electronics design is my main professional background.

I have been working for a long time with measurement technology, light related designs for measurement and illumination, both with laser optics and advanced LED illumination.

• 2 months later...

Just ran across this answer from @ulf. Not sure how I missed it originally. It was his link that pointed me to the Nemo. Appreciate all the info. The two lights have proven very handy for UV fluorescence and focusing. As ULF mentioned the chargers are not constructed as well as the well made torches. But, they work.

Having fun

Thanks,

Doug A

The Nemo torch itself may be improved a little, if to replace its standard Li-ion accumulator (3.8V typical full-charged voltage) with real steady strong Lab Power Source.

The point is that the volt-ampere characteristic of its "15W" led chip (as it was measured by me) reaches only around 6W (~1,6A) at 3,8V supply and this output number only diminishes with time (as accumulator discharge).

So when I work with Nemo in lab conditions I always use it with Lab Power Source and easily can reach 7-8W power (4.0V at ~1.8A) for a long time.

9 hours ago, diant said:

The Nemo torch itself may be improved a little, if to replace its standard Li-ion accumulator (3.8V typical full-charged voltage) with real steady strong Lab Power Source.

The point is that the volt-ampere characteristic of its "15W" led chip (as it was measured by me) reaches only around 6W (~1,6A) at 3,8V supply and this output number only diminishes with time (as accumulator discharge).

So when I work with Nemo in lab conditions I always use it with Lab Power Source and easily can reach 7-8W power (4.0V at ~1.8A) for a long time.

That is essentially correct. When I did my evaluation properly measuring the voltage at the Nemo's lamp head by a high current Kelvin sensing voltage measurement the minimum voltage needed there was 3.8V. Click on the arrow button in the inserted frame below to see more about it.

I even designed and built DCDC-converter end caps that work well continuously without overheating. They need between 8 and 22V in and can use any DC-power adapter big enough to supply enough power.

Mechanical CAD image:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 08.56.14.png

Parts and tools for assembly:

IMG_2390.jpg

The project grew and became more expensive than I anticipated, but as I had started I wanted to finnish it well.

The components and tool investments makes each cap more expensive than a Nemo torch. :-(

Here is an orange with mold (botrittis ?!)

some hairs of the wool sweater seem ionized :)

My "NEMO" is called Alonefire X901 UV 365nm 10W (alonefire.com) works well, and the battery lasts a long time.

This is the first test with the standard Nikon Z5
micro nikkor 60 G - f: 2.8 to f: 27
Nikon L39 UV filter
the first photo is with artificial light
the second 30 "with NEMO and brushstroke light

429755705_Z5060913-.jpg.821000c2319dcbff6957708ea83d8702.jpg