UltravioletPhotography

Black Eyed Susan UV VIS

Fluorescent light photo using the M42 Kuribayashi 50mm f2 A.C. from the original Petri Penta SLR. Captured using a 365nm torch and standard unmodified Sony a6300.

The black eyed susan was sitting on the desk for a couple days with the stem in some wet towel. Over time the newly erupted pollen had sprinkled onto the leaf petals.

There was also some strange weeping on the outer section of the flower petals just past where the usual central (UV absorbing) black white spot occurs. I don't know if this was a sign of rot or just leaf damage but you can also see it on the tip of a petal about 5 o'clock. This also shows up as an aqua color in some areas.

ISO 100 1.5s f11

Enjoy,

B1

post-372-0-51352000-1630974690.jpg

post-372-0-45540700-1630974744.jpg

Doug, depends how close the flashlight is. You just take a bunch of images and bracket it. It's usually easy to tell from liveview and the histogram.

Great image.

I am not seeing the black spot. Maybe I am blind.

I will typically see a dark or black spot if a flower has been damaged or bent or punctured. So that maybe it.

I once saw beautiful dark spots on a magnolia, that I first thought were part of its hidden uv signatures. But on imaging a second flower must have just been due to damage or from some insect eating it.

Thanks for the comments. I am enlightened.

This particular lens has a warmer tone than the more common and newer CC Petri Orikkor.

Also, believe it or not the sharp closeup was a crop. Yet, I also find myself diving into that region of interest more than the overall flower.

See exposure info above. Definitely not a guide and is obviously governed by Focal length, aperture, Iso and light source intensity and distance. No filter was used other than the torch.

Any idea of what looks like capillary movement of fluorescent material towards the outer edge of the petals?

Cheers,

B1

Great image.

I am not seeing the black spot. Maybe I am blind.

I will typically see a dark or black spot if a flower has been damaged or bent or punctured. So that maybe it.

I once saw beautiful dark spots on a magnolia, that I first thought were part of its hidden uv signatures. But on imaging a second flower must have just been due to damage or from some insect eating it.

It's the white splotches and the to a lesser extent the aqua blue area. I thought it could be some type of capillary movement.

This flower was really clean. It was the best of the bunch. Picked it in the morning before the sun came out actually had been raining and probably bloomed recently. It actually stayed perfect for several days after until the stem became weak from movement, shock and lack of rooting.

Cheers,

B1

• 2 months later...

Hey @Blazer0ne I found a green variety of black eye susan (gloriosa daisy) at the garden center and remembered your post so gave it a go, was a lot of fun, instead of violet/indigo the center glowed turquoise/aqua.

Vis

IMG-20211111-154035.jpg

UVIF
IMG-20211111-154048.jpg

And in UV

IMG-20211111-154104.jpg