UltravioletPhotography

delete

A few hours duration of the edit window is evidently enough for member(s) to thrash their contributions. Thus we should address the attitude, not the editing options per se.

UVP is about exchange of ideas, insights, experiences, and facts. It is not about having complete agreement and harmony. I trust we can attain such aims just by means of civil discourse and common sense.

Yes, and honestly, I seem to have started this but all I said to him was that it didn’t make any sense to me personally. I am quite sure there is a large amount of art in the world that other people like but whose point escapes me, so it’s not even much of a criticism. Certainly not worth tearing up all one’s posts and flouncing from the forum.

Way to go Andy ,

Criticizing a person for posting visible spectrum photos in a UV photography forum. The same person who said they must be UV as the film had some deep UV response, but wouldn't use a visible blocking filter.

Yes they might have had some UV. But like photographing with a S8612 filter, there was clearly a lot of visible.

If the User (can't remember the name and it wasn't originally zeroline) is still reading this. Please don't leave. Just work to refine your technique to become better. If you don't want to change and you're happy with your results than fine. But people will question your results.

That is the nature of people.

I too just recently was questioned for my UVB results. I need to learn to spell things out and try to make things more clear.

I miss Mark's images much more than the opportunity to understand and discuss with the new member that left us so fast.

In a way it is a pity that he left, but if he could not take any dialogue questioning his statements, he would likely not want to contribute at all in the future anyhow.

Please leave the ability to edit as it is.

Sometimes it is really valuable to add to the first post in a subject thread much later.

The guy explained that the film didn't do IR & it went down to 280nm

Andy attacked him for posting a visible image, which it clearly wasn't in my eyes, & basically left no room for explanations.

The guy was showing what the film could do & Andy spat the dummy at him.

After I criticised, he edited his post !

Colin that a little unfair and off. The film is sensitive to 280nm, but not only so. Also the light coming from the sun will significantly impact the recorded wavelengths.

Film isn't sensitive to IR, so you can use Ug5 or ug11 or ug1 without any IR blocking filters. But you must use a filter. There is just exponentially more visible light from the sun than UV light.

Also wasn't only Andy. When an expert in Colloidal films questioned his film UV response, he jumped ship. So I just don't think the user like to correctly told that they were wrong.

Thanks Dave

I understand that, " There is just exponentially more visible light from the sun than UV light. "

But he was aware that he didn't have the worry of IR contamination.

But Andy just threw out the baby with the bath water !

The guy never got any time to get his feet wet & adjust his output to suit us.

Everybody please STAND DOWN now.

Let us not pile upon one another and cast blame because a newcomer to the forum was a bit too sensitive. I have seen this kind of thing before. It happens. It's nobody's "fault". So let it go now, please. OK?

On a forum like UVP we all have the right to ask questions about technique. In particular, we all have the right to wonder about such things as whether or not a photo has or does not have UV content. Most of the time, most of us answer such questions with an eagerness to explain and with an understanding that the questioner has no ulterior motives but simply wants also to understand.

I am sorry we lost this newcomer, but he also has the right to decide that UVP is not the place for him. Maybe he will come back and try again if he understands that members were simply trying to learn about his work.

OTOH, I'm not here to baby newcomers or anybody else. A certain adult level of behaviour and politesse is required from forum participants. A willingness to understand instead of lash out goes a long way towards community peace. Destroying topics and leaving the forum in a huff is not a useful behaviour.

I am going to transport the other 3 topics to the Retired Threads section.

I will lock this one, but leave this last "message" up for a couple of days.

I should stop now before I reach that 1000 word level. La!!