UltravioletPhotography

New IR Chrome version and how to DIY

Christoph

Apparently Kolari Vision has a new version of their IR Chrome filter. I take this as an opportunity to point out again that the filter has little to do with Aerochrome (although they still market it that way) and can be created cheaply and simply by yourself.

https://kolarivision...ilter-preorder/

This has already been discussed in this forum. I did a comparison on my blog - The combo of Peacock Blue from Lee and a Chinese Hot Mirror gives exactly the same look. Here is the post for all interested:

https://hiddenrealms...-chrome-filter/

Aside from the lighter blue color, I'm not sure what the difference is between the cheaper "lite" version and the regular version. I still have my copy of this filter that I experiment with, once in while.

The Lee filter stacked with the GRB3 might be camera specific. I haven't tested the Lee 115 yet. I liked the 183 and the original lee 729 from David.

I may want to play with this again as a genuine KG3 is different than the GRB3 filter.

Yes I agree with Dave too.

I need to do a systematic study with these various filters & arrange them in a wavelength order & test their responses on my camera.

I don't even think you need the channel swap, microbat, at least if they are behaving like the IRchrome. The IRchrome's selling point was that it made/makes aerochrome-like images straight out of the camera. (The downside was that it doesn't behave entirely like aerochrome did.)

Yes no channel swapping.

You need to do in camera custom white balance off a perfectly grey target, not grass.

Although, I now have to test out Colin's method of sticking a PTFE "filter" over top the IR Chrome filter during custom WB, to see if that works better.

My old grey chair target, that was the best in the past, is too rusty now.

• 4 months later...
On 9/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, microbat52 said:

Should I get cyan or blue?

I got the cyan from them set into a circular filter and it seemed to work with my pana-leica 12-60mm mft lens. Some heavy red vignetting at the very widest angle but fine after that. Quick test through the garden window with the Tangsinuo GRB3 and the cyan gobo filter combined.

image9.jpeg