UltravioletPhotography

Lechenaultia macrantha

What are weeds to the average home owner, are fascinating UV/IR subjects to us UV/IR photographers!! :grin:

I really like that photo from above of the Pelargonium. We need to get that into the botanical section someday.

Very rare to get false yellow UV from pink visible petals.

I'm thinking that a lot of pink and red flowers have an underlying blue component to their color (and that, of course, due to their pigments). So these flowers would tend to be false blue. I should complete my false color survey of the botanical section someday.

Thanks all,

Yeah, that’s an interesting result. Very rare to get false yellow UV from pink visible petals.

I wouldnt read too much into the colours of my images yet. Let me get my white balance properly sorted with the correct PTFE balance and post processing routine. Then we can have thoughts on whether there is actually false-yellow in there. That being said, there is certainly two different false-colours there despite the largely uniform vis-colours on the petals.

Looking forward to it Andy :)

I had a look at some of David O's other Perlagonium species.

interesting that one shows no difference between top and bottom petals, and the other shows a little difference but not nearly as pronounced as this one.

Ultraviolet Photography

• 1 month later...

Andrea, I think I have found another local flower that has both false blue and false yellow, but this one's a Proteaceae.

This is another endemic Western Australian: Petrophile linearis, Pixie mops.

It's a compound flower head, each of the rays on the head is an individual tubular flower.  the ends open up and curl backwards to expose the reproductive structures.

I have performed the white balance as previously and it has resulted in this extremely bright false blue.  The macro shows a false yellow part to the stamens.

2058914084_Pixiemops.jpg.d38c4bf29cd485d76943fa0c8460ce09.jpg

669069331_PixiemopsVIS.jpg.39b0533579f7a35556c98c234f734df2.jpg

738491406_Pixiemops2.jpg.4e1f072970af26bb79357181c9573289.jpg

1361375782_Pixiemops2VIS.jpg.c23c7605e859f96515bc61d346348c54.jpg