UltravioletPhotography

Best Basic Gear: Goggles, Filters, Torches

Andrea B.

And they are easy to handle too when filter switching between vis, uv and ir.

I do not actually know if that filter is named after me. I never asked. :grin: Over the years I've bought everybody's filters so I can keep up my knowledge. Well, not quite everybody's because I don't have an Astrodon. And I'm a little short on ZWB glass because the first piece I got wasn't so good.

For the record, Birna and I have both done some testing of various gear. No pay for that however. We are non-monetized in order to remain gear neutral. Of course we both have our personal favorite kinds of gear. But we do not sponsor anything for money or promote anything for fame or perqs.

• 4 weeks later...

I added a comment about the "Nemo" torch in the Torch recommendation. I'll try to put more info later.

1) nothing has 100% blocking. Sufficiently intense light always gets through. 

2) blue and violet light does damage the eyes, so probably there is some additional protection from the yellow and amber lenses. It’s not just eye strain, you can get cataracts from 405nm for example. Many dentists had such problems. 

• 1 month later...

I just did a bit of fluffing for the post about filters.

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/4805-best-basic-gear-goggles-bg-filters-torches/&do=findComment&comment=48848

Added mention of dual bandpass and filter glass equivalencies.

Added BaaderU even tho it isn't a beginner's filter.

(I still need to add pricing and a link for the BU.)

Some other minor tweaks.

Please let me know of any typos or errors!!! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have added the Kolari Hot Mirror Pro 2 as an entry in UV/IR-Blockers for Visible work.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 2021 Dec 23. Added Canon 199A for UV-flash mod. Highlighted flash capacitor warning. Added link to UV/IR-blocking tests.

• 3 months later...

Below is a link for some safety goggles which provide 99.9% UV protection. Please note that I don't know how accurate that 99.9% designation really is. But better using these than using nothing, right?

I have bought items from McMaster-Carr for years and found them to be accurate and reputable.

Scroll down the page to find the Wrap-around Safety Goggles labeled "B" which sell for (US)$20.

https://www.mcmaster.com/eye-protectors/uv-protection-rating~99-9-/

Andy Perrin

It would, although if working just with UVA I don't think there's much impact on skin from what Jonathan has said in the past. Eyes are a different story.

Select yellow or orange tinted for best protection from high energy visible (HEV) also known a blue light hazard.

https://www.mcmaster.com/eye-protectors/lens-color~yellow/lens-color~orange/uv-protection-rating~99-0-/

I find the ventilated over the glasses type with adjustable length over the ears to be the most comfortable.

https://www.mcmaster.com/eye-protectors/lens-color~yellow/lens-color~orange/uv-protection-rating~99-0-/lens-style~panoramic/lens-properties~ventilated/

• 1 month later...

I am late getting to JD's comment. I'm going to put that link in the recommended list above.

I have those McMaster eye protectors and find them very comfortable.

• 1 year later...

I have made some long overdue updates to the write-up. Please look it over and make suggestions or corrections. Thank you!

Update:  Added IR-blockers to the ZWB listings.

Update:  Added 99.9% goggles rec for McMaster-Carr. And mentioned UVEX.

One important thing to be aware of is that the highly regarded UV blocker from Schott S8612 only have guaranteed transmission in the visual range nothing is defined in UV as it is for the BG39:

Screenshot2023-05-27at11_21_47.png.1303a3d852e341279f4e8baaff8e795f.png  Screenshot2023-05-27at11_24_07.png.0dc9a0433567321935e8ef311c5ff925.png

This means that the very nice deep UV-transmission graphs showed  by the Schott calculator is not always true.

My first S8612 2mm was similar to the theoretical graph, but later I have gotten a few S8612-filters that had an UV-cutoff much closer to the BG39.

The S8612 normally have at least a little bit better transmission characteristics than the BG39, but is also more sensitive to humidity corrosion.

@Andrea Please feel free to move my comment elsewhere if you want.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this update about properties of Schott S8612.

• 3 weeks later...

@Andrea B.

Some visitors do not read more that the beginning of this rather long thread.

Because of that I think you should edit the first page in this thread for the Best IR-Blocker about Ultraviolet Light with Full-Spectrum Camera about UVR Optics NIR-Block.

It was later found to be way to weak for blocking the NIR bumps in stacks with UG11, UG1...

The resulting OD at those NIR regions was around OD 2, if I remember correctly.

I suggest that you put BG39 2mm there instead as the S8612 is difficult to buy.

Thanks, Ulf, for this suggestion. I will go make those updates now.

So done. 

I made some other clean-ups. And added a few personal comments about my use of the filters. (I hope that is useful.)

• 8 months later...
Andrea B.

UPDATE: 9 April 2024:  Added warning about Tangsinuo not providing the filter thickness requested by the customer.

colinbm

@Andrea B. With special orders, Tangsinuo, usually, with me has a minimun order quantity, like 3 or 5 items.
Have you checked with Tangsinuo if there has been some mis-understanding between customer & supplier ?