UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Midwestern USA

Doug A

Thanks for accepting my application. I started shooting a fully manual Pentax Spotamatic SLR at age 10. Learned to develop B&W in Dad's darkroom. Bought a used Leica M3 and some lenses. Loved shooting the M3 with 21mm Super Angulon and Kodak B&W infrared film. Also loved Kodachrome 25 slide film.

Worked in a large retail camera department before turning 16. Have worked at three other camera shops. At one I did the B&W IR developing for the local branch of the US Government DEA. I also teach a basic night photography class.

Digital IR photography is difficult without a converted camera. Never could decide which camera to convert and what IR filter to install. Then I bought a unmodified Pentax 645Z with 25mm ultrawide lens. This lens allows drop in filters to be inserted in the middle of the lens. It came with 590, 720, and 850nm fiters. 720nm saw the most use. Then I picked up a full spectrum APS-c body for $250. It makes IR so much easier. Now I want to learn about UV photography. I just purchased the Kyoei clone from Ioriginal on ebay. Wow! This is a lot harder than IR. Didn't realize UV light was so much dimmer. Two Nemo torches are on the way to help with light.

I've been studying this site and will have many questions.

Thanks

Did you get the filter set with the lens from Igoriginal ?

Yes I did. Seems like a good deal. Lens is in nice shape. I set the white balance for UV with both filters. Shot a normal picture and forgot to change the white balance. They are strange looking. Unlike any wrong WB settings I've ever seen. Kinda of neat.

Thanks,

Doug A

Good, they are useful, enjoy your UVA photos, when you get the UV LED lights you will be able to do UVIVF (UV Induced Visible light Fluorescence), with a normal visible light camera.