UltravioletPhotography

Five IR-Blockers Tested for Visible Color Use on Full Spectrum Camera

Andrea B.

3 minutes ago, nfoto said:

"Anyway, they don't expect us to be removing that internal filtration. "

So very true. I'm certainly not the only one having had a camera in for maintenance or repairs to receive it reset to factory order with all the stock filters put back in place.

So then maybe I can have the factory hot mirror fitted to a clip in holder? 

• 4 months later...
On 8/22/2021 at 6:17 PM, Andrea B. said:

I would like to ask a question.

When I am changing the ICC from sRGB to AdobeRGB, is it better to go all the way back to the raw NEF

and work forward through the TIF export and final resized JPG while using AdobeRGB from the start in the raw file?

OR, can I simply apply AdobeRGB to the final JPGs as a last step regardless of what ICCs I used along the way?

Thanks for any input on this.

I know this is an old post by now but the question of when and how to apply an ICC profile is both a good question and a common question online. You probably figured it out by now, but I thought I'd answer it in case someone with a similar question searches the forums about ICC profiles.

Some general guidelines for ICC profiles : 

1 ) Applying an ICC profile to the image will keep the numeric values of the pixels in an image the same (ie, R=240, G=30, B=35). What will change is how those pixels are interpreted and displayed. So, if you apply AdobeRGB to an sRGB image, the colors will appear more saturated but the RGB values won't change. 

On the other hand if you convert to an ICC profile, that will work something like this: The conversion algorithm will look at each pixel's RGB triplet and find the particular corresponding CIELAB/CIEXYZ triplet in the current profile. Then, it will find the RGB triplet in the new profile with the closest CIELAB/CIEXYZ value, and substitute the new RGB value for the old one. 

2 ) It's best to start with a wider RGB gamut, and convert to smaller ones from there. Edit in the wider space when possible. 

If I understand your usage correctly, I don't think you'll want to apply the AdobeRGB profile unless you want to do it for creative purposes due to the visual effect. I'm not sure you'd want to convert to AdobeRGB either from sRGB unless you have further edits to make. But if you can go back to the original raw and do all the edits in the wider space from there, that's preferable. 

I always process and do my editing in the wide Prophoto RGB, then downsize to my standard archive size (2000pix on major axis) and convert to Adobe RGB. If any image is posted on the web, it gets the sRGB treatment instead, but from the same starting position.