UltravioletPhotography

Hello from Quebec, Canada

Kristine

My name is Kristine and I have been an amateur photographer for more than 40 years. I am a bit of a nostalgic and held on to film probably longer than necessary, but I would have never dreamt of the scope of photographic techniques available today with modern technology. I have been doing infrared photography since 2012, was really curious about what was hiding behind the other end of the spectrum, but it’s only two years ago that the opportunity for UV photography opened up for me when I had the chance to start using a EOS M6 full spectrum camera. However, it took time and patience to find the proper lenses and adapters for it, at a reasonable price. My two favorites are the Soligor 35mm and El-Nikkor 80mm, which I use with a LaLaU filter.

Living in southern Quebec, Canada (45 degrees latitude), and my main interest in UV being natural light photography, I feel that with this equipment the time of the year that I can use it is limited. Early in the summer I was waiting for a sunny day to get out with the camera and we had passing clouds which were casting marked shadows on the mounting nearby. I made a few video sequences of it with different exposure compensations and was surprised that there was very little contrast in UV, between shaded and non-shaded areas. I then realized that a cloudy sky was not necessarily a no-no for UV photography and I now carry the camera more often when I go out.

This is a fascinating hobby! I enjoy the surprises and the experiments into this invisible world. I’m also interested in 3D photography so I may try to combine the two someday. The contributions and the data on this site have been invaluable for me to get into UV, and I thank you all. I’m not an expert, but I hope to be able to contribute any way I can.

Welcome Kristine

I am not an expert either but I am fascinated with the invisible light that our cameras can capture.

I have just started to do 3D Anaglyphs as well.

Have fun like we all do.

Cheers

Col

Thank you! I love 3D anaglyph. It may be an old technique, but to me it is fascinating to feel the depth coming out of the screen. So much to to explore…..

Welcome

Many fun things to explore. UV offers a nice crispness that I like.

3D will keep you busy. I still haven't finished assembling my dual 18mm focal length, 6mm diameter element lenses.

I like the dual image that you see by crossing your eyes, rather than anaglyph. But it can be tricky to get it to work in UV. Fortunately the Panasonic 12.5mm lens can just see into UV. But very expensive now.