UltravioletPhotography

Stapelia desmetiana [Starfish Flower]

František, G. (2021) Stapelia desmentiana N.E. Br. (Apocynaceae) Starfish Flower. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet, infrared and visible light. Infrared fluorescence photo also included. https://www.ultravio...tarfish-flower/

Synonyms:

• Gonostemon grandiflorus var. desmentianus (N.E. Br.) B.L. Rob. ex Millsp. & Loes.

Other Common Names:

• African Starfish Flower
  • Carrion Flower
  • Aasblom (in Afrikaans)

Reference:

1. World Flora Online (acc 15 Aug 2021) Stapelia desmetiana N.E. Br.

Visible Light:

post-350-0-62949500-1628973845.jpg

Ultraviolet Light: ZWB2 + QB39, full spectrum Speedlite 199A, Industar 50-2

post-350-0-32588000-1628973870.jpg

Infrared Light: 650nm longpass

post-350-0-88023900-1628973898.jpg

Blue-induced Infrared Fluorescence: 650nm longpass

post-350-0-54256700-1628973888.jpg

There are no black and white images.

The last one is not out of focus, it just looks like so due to the characteristics of the fluorescence.

Very cool flower! And nice series. Thanks for showing us this unusual flower.

In this section you must have a header line and a title both of which are in a certain format so that the indexing program can pick up the entry. I will add it for you. :smile:

Please read over the changes and let me know if you approve. Thanks!!

I like all images.

Well done!

This is an interesting flower.

How big is it? Can you please estimate the diameter?

Thanks! It's been a while since I took these photos so the flowers are long gone. The body is almost cactus like looking (you can see that in the back albeit not very well focused). The diameter from what I remember was around maybe 50-60mm? Sorry if that's a bit imprecise.. My mother, being an enthusiast florist was very excited when this specimen bloomed. I was intrigued by the look of the flowers as much as you probably are, so I borrowed it. The UV look is rather underwhelming to me though, to be honest. Doesn't look that different from the normal look texture wise. Some flowers undergo big changes, this one did not.

Very cool flower! And nice series. Thanks for showing us this unusual flower.

In this section you must have a header line and a title both of which are in a certain format so that the indexing program can pick up the entry. I will add it for you. :smile:

Please read over the changes and let me know if you approve. Thanks!!

Thanks a lot for editing the post accordingly! I hope it wasn't too much of a hassle. I definitely approve, especially if it helps with organization and indexing. I was glad to contribute :)

Thanks a lot for editing the post accordingly! I hope it wasn't too much of a hassle.

No problem! You can cut & paste from the example above if or when you want to contribute any other flowers.

We are always happy to have them. :grin:

You can also add any non-English Common Names for this flower if you know of any.