UltravioletPhotography

Alternative way to monochrome convert a camera

dabateman

Andy Perrin

Sure, but that's irrelevant - the point was that the visible light doesn't cause fading. Probably UV light does, if it's the right wavelength. But short of being a laser, it's not clear unless someone wants to do the experiment what would be necessary to fade the dyes in a reasonable time frame.

59 minutes ago, Andy Perrin said:

Sure, but that's irrelevant - the point was that the visible light doesn't cause fading. Probably UV light does, if it's the right wavelength. But short of being a laser, it's not clear unless someone wants to do the experiment what would be necessary to fade the dyes in a reasonable time frame.

And the degradation of the microlenses ?

On the other hand, there is also a risk that transmission goes from bad to worse with long time exposure of ultraviolet light, either of the dyes or the micro-lenses.

That happens to some filter glass materials and even to some types of quartz in optical fibers when exposed a long time to ultraviolet light. 

https://www.newport.com/f/solarization-resistant-fibers

https://www.spiedigitallibrary.org/conference-proceedings-of-spie/12221/1222109/Solarization-effects-in-optical-glass-from-UV-to-blue/10.1117/12.2632359.short?SSO=1

Someone could test this by irradiating one half of a sensor with UV light (maybe UVB or UVC) for a long time (perhaps several months) and then see if the colors rendered by the sensor differ between the two halves. For UVA and UVB, sunlight could be a source.

I have a sensor from a white Canon EOS M that Ulf sold me. For now I will keep it as a spare sensor and leave it as it is.

• 3 months later...
On 5/18/2023 at 8:29 PM, dabateman said:

So if the dyes bleach out using UV light. You could take an older camera, set a UVB reptile bulb or germacidal bulb over the lens mount. Keep it in a closet for a month or so, check on it to avoid causing fires. Then test it out.

Would be slow,but if your not using that camera much anyway,  you could play the waiting game to see how it works.

I don't know if this would burn the shutter or make other internal camera components brittle and weak. Its possible it might cause damage for the duration needed to bleach out the dyes.

If I were to try this, what light source would you recommend? I've got more time than money right now.