UltravioletPhotography

[Filter Test] AndreaU-MkII, BaaderU, Hoya U340 x 4.00 mm: Raw Colors

Andrea B.

Recently I was shooting a sunflower for the botanical section using an SB-140 UV-flash. As a side note I made these raw composites in Raw Digger in order to see the non-white-balanced colors for the three UV-pass filters I was using.

I've made lots of posts before about raw colors for different filters. I will try to find the links and post them here in case anyone is interested in this. I am rather fascinated by the idea of the non-white-balanced colors our cameras are actually recording under different UV, IR or UV+IR filters, but it might be total Boresville for some (many?). :lol:

LINK:

This is a link to photos showing the non-white-balanced colors of 36 UV/IR filters. It does not include raw colors for two filters in this current topic (U340 x 4.0mm and AndreaU Mk-II).

https://www.ultravio...white-balanced/

ADDED LATER: I was not going for a comparison, per se, between filters using the photos shown below. I only intended to post some raw color illustrations for the filters I was using during the sunflower shoot. See Cadmium's Post #4 below for a comment about comparability of filters. I agree with that comment.

Also I don't think the raw color for the AndreaU Mk-II had ever been posted before, so there's that too.

The AndreaU-MkII for this flower was about 15° which I would call red-orange if you accept orange as being at 30°. The BaaderU was at aboug 19° which is a little bit more orange. And the unblocked 4mm thick U340 was almost entirely orange at 28°.

helianthusPetiolaris1_uvAndreaUmkII_sb140_20210807aveElDorAndAsterWay_25131rawComp01pn.jpg

helianthusPetiolaris1_uvBaad_sb140_20210807aveElDorAndAsterWay_25117rawComp01pn.jpg

helianthusPetiolaris1_uvHoya340x4mm_sb140_20210807aveElDorAndAsterWay_25125rawComp01pn.jpg

The background here is Spectralon.

Peak: 360 nm with 75% transmission

Full Width Half Max: 346 nm - 386 nm

d610_uvNikkor_uvAndreaUmkII_sb140_20210807laSecuela_25076rawComp.jpg

Peak: 350 nm with 78% transmission.

Full Width Half Max: 320 nm - 380 nm

d610_uvNikkor_uvBaad_sb140_20210807laSecuela_25067rawComp.jpg

I like the unblocked U-340 x 4.0 mm which passes a smidge of IR.

Heresy, I know, I know.......

d610_uvNikkor_uvHoya340x4mm_sb140_20210807laSecuela_25072rawComp.jpg

No flash used for this stack.

d610_uvNikkor_ug5x1dot5_s8612x1dot75_ambSkyLite_20210807laSecuela_25093rawComp.jpg

I noticed that (talking about raw colors) 365 nm light is almost pure red, and 340 nm light is orange (I think almost every camera sensor sees colors this way), so a shift towards orange with deeper-peaking filters is what I would expect.

U-340 alone would not be in the same category as Baader U, etc.. You would need to stack U-340 with S8612 to make them comparable.

U-340 is seldom used alone with no IR suppression. It can be used as a dual band filter, but there are better choices for dual band usually.

To me, it doesn't make sense to compare U-340 4mm with UV pass filters when the IR isn't suppressed.

U-340 4mm is not enough to suppress the IR, you really need 6mm or 8mm.

I really like that U-340 x 4.0 mm with no blocking. That is why it was included. :grin:

But I totally agree with you that if I were trying to compare filters, then the leakage should be blocked.

I'll add something to the original post or refer to your post.

That's OK, just pointing it out for those who might get mixed up.

If you want pure U-340 then I recommend using 8mm, (or two 4mm stacked). You could also stack U-340 4mm + S8612 1mm, but that looses the UV band width that pure U-340 8mm retains.

post-87-0-00592400-1628546032.jpg

Yes looking forward to testing one piece solid 8mm zwb1. I have a bunch of 2mm thick that I have stacked and look good.

I was expecting more color comments from Stefano. He seems to be holding back.

But you are only using a flash which will be skewed to the upper UV wavelengths.

The transmission through 8 mm of U-340 is higher than I though it would be. :grin:

The transmission through 8 mm of U-340 is higher than I though it would be. :grin:

Steve's graphs shows the internal transmission without the surface transition losses.

Those cause about 9% less transmission for a solid 8mm thick U-340.

Jonathan has a nice spectrometer scan of those same thicknesses on here somewhere, I tried to search for it, but I wasn't able to find it.

I found a spectrometer scan I made some time ago of my 2 x 4mm U-340 stack.

It has a peak transmission of 51% at 329nm and a FWHM of 66nm

post-150-0-86079600-1628573046.png

Andrea,

Back to the point. If you still have that flower and all the filters available. It would be nice to see how those colors change when you illuminate it with a 365nm Led torch/ flashlight, like the convoy or Nemo.

The raw color results should be significantly different than from the flash, which is a broader spectrum and favors the upper UV.

You could also try your deep UV flashlight, but I don't know if you ever got that working.

I would guess the opposite, given the LED torches have a rather narrow even monochrome illumination, compared to a UV flash which is more broadband.

If you are doing more of these then maybe try a U-360 2mm + S8612 2mm stack, to see how the colors of that stack compares to the Baader U.