UltravioletPhotography

PrimaLuce Nikon Z5 Full-spectrum camera review

nfoto

Following up another topic: I have had several encounters with the error message "This card cannot be used" on the Z5. The cards check out without errors on my computers. This appears to be a random issue. If I move the allegedly "bad" card to another slot on the camera, usually the error message disappears. Move the card back to the original slot, and now there is no error??

A 64GB card makes the camera pause for a long time (minutes) until there is a preview, or the menus are accessible. This occurs the first time the camera is switched on with that card inserted. I reformatted the card in camera and response afterwards was instantaneous, however after a few write cycles, the slow preview returned.

I will file a bug report to Nikon.

To elaborate on my earlier comment to Andy, not all shown in a photograph is what it appears like. A well-known fact for us UV/IR/etc. shooters :smile:

The scenery, currently in a dreary postcard-like display, is seen here.

P20210103122742.jpg

Not very inspirational in terms of UV or IR, unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Ups and downs lately -- combined effects of a cold winter spell (down to -17C) , which my lungs really don't like any more, and a newly discovered acoustic neuroma on my hearing and balance nerve. So basically I have been lying pretty low.

The biting frost fog lifted today so make the outside world look tempting (not really). I shot with the 25mm f/4 Voigtländer Skopar S on the PrimaLuce Z5 for some emulated IE images. This lens is a true gem, being tiny and unobtrusive yet delivering super sharp images.

Here is a snapshot of the 25mm lens on the Z5. Reminder to self: dust off camera before taking snapshots of it.

U20210127133340_25mmf4_Cv_SkoparS.jpg

It is not a retrofocus design so one might expect a lot of peripheral colour fringing and unevenness on a full-frame digital camera (the lens was made for use on Nikon rangefinder cameras and their ancient S mount). However, surprisingly little of these artefacts are seen, in fact, less than with most wide F-mount lenses.

This is the scenery outside at present. Triple glazing windows makes for reduced sharpness and some reflections of the photographer, but the main impression survives.

T202101270770.jpg

A crop (100%) of the off-centre image indicates how sharp this tiny lens is.

T202101270770_25mmf4CV_SkoparS_offcentre100pct_PrimaLuce_Z5.jpg

The Skopar delivers in visible and IR, not so much in UV due to its optics not being conducive to UV imaging. I got the lens brand new quite cheaply from an American dealer 1-2 years ago. If you can find one, do pick it up. A quick search on eBay disclosed a surprising number of candidate offers.

We still have cold weather, temperatures dropping towards -20C at night. There is little snow, just sufficient for Ruth to don her skies and go skiing cross-country style if she keeps to the managed tracks. I have to stay indoors due to my lungs no longer being able to cope with the cold air, so whether there is snow or not as such is moot. However, the snow undoubtedly brightens the landscape and at noon when the pale winter sun is able to penetrate the frost fog, the outside world actually is kind of postcard pretty.

A quick impression from today done in false-colour emulated IE with the 105mm f/4 Micro-Nikkor AIS and the Primaluce Z5.

T202101300771_105mmf4micro-nikkor_IE_PrimaLuce_Z5.jpg

Evidently this likeable old-timer also performs well for false-colour IR. There is little sign of chromatic issues and colour rendition is quite even across the frame, which always is a good sign if can be achieved.

Another current view of my frozen neighbourhood, now with the 200mm f/4 Nikkor AI on the Z5.

T202101300773_200mmf4nikkorAI_IE_PrimaLuce_Z5.jpg

This lens shares much of the desirable properties of the 105 Micro, but perhaps with a tad less sharpness. Still pretty good though.

Oops, that item went fast .....

Wasn't me, it was a bit pricey.

I like the new images. I hope you're feeling better now. We might finally get some snow tonight here. Up to 6 inches! And everyone is in a panic. If its not 2 feet I am usually disappointed, as 4 inches isn't really a good snow fall for sledding.

The bitter frost creates details everywhere. A small section of a fence, taken with the AFS 300mm f/2.8 Nikkor ED-IF (hand-held). Again, using the Nikon O56 filter. This is a 100% crop which shows details nicely.

T202101300777_hoare_frost_afs300mmf2,8nikkor_IE_100pct_PrimaLuce_Z5.jpg

An evening shot from our first persistent snowfall some weeks ago -- people around here get furious if fresh snow isn't immediately cleared away, so a host of snow clearing equipment are set in motion within a few minutes. This tractor engaged the snow outside of my porch and I shot with the 21mm f/4 Panagor (rear-mounted Baader U) at f/8, 1/15 sec and ISO cranked up to 6400. Despite the elevated ISO the frame was severely underexposed thus I had to resort to some serious tricks inside Photo Ninja in order to extract anything at all.

T202012300671.jpg

I was a bit surprised it's possible to pull off a decent UV capture under such circumstances. True, the sharpness isn't great (hand-held camera by a freezing Birna; subject movement) and there is significant noise into the shadows. However, the action is communicated. Also the fact that in winter, the range of false colours in UV for natural subjects is very restricted.

Temperatures continue to plummet well beyond -20C and make the outside world eerily beautiful. I'm grounded due to my current bad response to cold air, so have to watch the outside confined to the indoor setting. There are plus and minus aspects to the situation, however I really have no say here.

Today we had a glimpse of a hazed winter sun to brighten the landscape. I availed myself of the opportunity to shoot a few UV frames with the Coastal 60mm f/4 APO lens combined with a Basder U filter. Camera either the PrimaLuce Z5, or the sony NEX-5N Monochrome.

UV_comparison.jpg

These frames cannot be compared directly as there is some time lapse between the captures and the sun light was changeable throughout. I shot the Z5 at ISO 800 and the Nex-5N at ISO 200. Exposures were around 1/30- 1/60 sec at f/5.6 and I shot with a hand-held camera.

I have sclaed the images crops to be approx. similar of angle of view. Interestingly, the main interpretation of the scene is almost identical between the two systems. The fslso colours add more detail, but also some "noise" in that the colour changes also reflect shading of house facades not necessary a different reflectivity in UV. Both systems show the insulation deficiencies in the house exteriors.

To the naked eye, these houses all have a creamy white paint with no discernable pattern at all.

UV_comparison.jpg

Well, you aren't really seeing heat loses, you're seeing secondary effects (frost? melting?) from heat loses. I'm a bit confused by the color image since I wouldn't have thought just a coating of ice would change the color that much in a wavelength dependent way -- I understand the that it could make the location darker or brighter the same way a wet piece of paper changes brightness, but I don't understand why it would go from gray to purple.

First and foremost, the UV false-colour image shows different layers of paint have been applied. Second, there is interplay with shadows to confuse the pattern on the facade directly facing the camera.

I see no purple, only shades of blue and cyan.

The pattern and color of what would seem to be the studs inside the walls, and the seconds floor plate, and around the window parts.

I think that may be what Andy means by purple.

Is the blue partly due to an IR leak? Usually in UV you get blue when you are imaging the very longest UV wavelengths around 400 nm, but not that shade of blue.
Also maybe the blue is due to water "filling the gaps" and revealing the true false UV color of the paint. Just like snow that appears blacker when wet in SWIR.