UltravioletPhotography

Electromagnetic absorption by water

...Andrea, don't get mad, but on my phone, in a vertical position, it still looks skinny. But, really, it isn't so important. Don't become crazy trying to fix it.
  • 1 year later...
lukaszgryglicki

Here are some "movies" made by FLIR E70 thermal camera (sorry, but it only has 320x240 resolution) converted by my own tool (written this myself in golang). Water is opaque in this wavelength 8000-12000 nm (or 8-12 microns):

-

-

-

While the germanium metal is transparent (I have a 1cm cube, also lenses for this camera are made from germanium with DLC coating - diamond-like carbon):

-

-

Hope that somebody finds it useful. I can provide more stuff from the E70 camera if anybody wants anything.

Interesting. Germanium is cool also because it has a very high refractive index of about 4, and that means that you lose about half of the transmitted light in reflections. Diamonds are shiny because of their high refractive index (~2.4), so a piece of germanium cut like a diamond would be extra shiny in IR.

I also have to finish those tables.

lukaszgryglicki

Actually YT adds a lot of compression-like artefacts, no idea why - they are like someone ripped a DVD with a very low bitrate.

Files that I've uploaded to YT were 320x240 (low res, like the camera itself) but were crystal clear of JPEG-like compression artefacts.

Girls indeed are hot - they emit mainly 9354 nm light.

lukaszgryglicki

Thanks, that wasn't for this forum, just uploaded to YT long back.

If I need to upload anything here, I'll just put it unmodified on my own server and just paste a link here.

lukaszgryglicki
OK, thanks, anyway don't even have access to the original file now, it's o a different computer.