UltravioletPhotography

Testing Sony A7S for leaks and internal LEDs

Andy Perrin

I have not been impressed by the effect of ultrasonic cleaning on other cameras.

From a technical point I think the design of the ultrasonic cleaning might be tuned to the mass of the window and if so will not work as well as in the original design, if at all.

If you also try using glycerol and glues the fused silica window that chance of that function to work is even smaller.

I just checked very old glycerine I had with UV flashlight and it has bluish fluorescence indicating absorbtion. Also when glycerine is exposed to UV light, it breaks down into smaller molecules. So probably not good idea to use it. Other liquids such as saltwater wouldn't work? Also probably it would be good idea to use black paint in corners.

If to install window without liquid would it necessary to put frame for gap or it wont matter if window touches sensor glass? There was thin tape glued to corners of sensor glass but it got ruined during cleaning.

I checked ultrasonic cleaning assembly and it has room for moving and thinner glass filter is lighter so it would be harder to vibrate 2.4mm thick window. Unless it would be possible somehow add another thinner window to assembly.

Glycerine has a refractive index that is rather close to that of normal glass materials (ca 1.5):
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/refractive-index-d_1264.html

Water is quite different (1.333)

If the window touches the sensor surface there will be interference patterns, Newton rings.

I am curious, why are you trying to make things so complicated? 
With your skills, converting the camera yourself, I am sure cleaning the sensor in a normal way, with wet swipes would be very easy.

That method is the one most efficient while all other things like the ultrasonic vibrating window is just a way to make the need for a real cleaning a bit less frequent.

Both FS-Windows and coatings on sensors are very scratch resistant, unless you get very hard sharp dust particles onto the surface and forget to blow them away that first.

This time I won't use liquid. Kolari vision suggested using immersion microscopy oil.

Now I was trying  to clean the sensor and window from smudges and dust. But I keep just getting fine dust. I use a camera blower, cotton q-tips which I change and a Hama sensor cleaning brush.  I try to lift slightly the window stuck to sensor glass and blow dust but dust sticks pretty strongly to surfaces so I have insert q-tips. End result is that I get no big lints but have plenty of fine dust. I don't see their shadow so maybe they won't be so visible?

IMG_20240320_162221.jpg