UltravioletPhotography

A few filter tests

Cadmium

There was a little bit of intermittent sun beams sneaking through the clouds, so I tried to catch a few for some filters tests.

David Twede posted a filter test a while back (in his blog, see link).

https://next-eyes.blogspot.com/2019/

He suggested the equivalent would be Lee 156 Chocolate Polyester sheet filter.

The 156 is a brown filter, and although I wasn't able to find a graph for the Tiffen Sepia filters, they are the same color to the eye as the 156,

and they work the same (I am using a Tiffen Sepia 2, they have 1, 2, and 3, 3 being darkest).

Tiffen also has a Tobacco filter, which is also a similar color to the Sepia, but I don't have the Tobacco to try.

Basically these 'brown' filters show the full visual range, blue skies, out of camera, only the foliage is changed to lavender/purple tones.

Other filters will render lavender foliage SOOC with a full spectrum camera, but the sky would not be blue like it is with these, and the visual color would be more altered also.

So these brown filters are interesting in that they leave most of the visual range alone, and change only the foliage to lavender/purple.

Also, I tested the IR Chrome. My one word assessment is 'orange'. I get this same look using B-410 + KG3, or a number of other polyester filters, etc..

All these tests were made using individual in camera white balance for each filter using a large full frame WhiBal gray card.

These shots are all straight out of camera (SOOC), no processing.

I also tried white balance from RAW in Photo Ninja, and was unable to find any better white balance than the original gray card.

Lee 156 is a polyester film filter, very thin, like a gel filter, but made of polyester.

Tiffen Sepia is a film filter (of some kind) sandwiched between clear glass. All of the Tiffen filters are constructed this way, color comes from the film layer, not from the glass.

IR Chrome is two layers of glass glued together (1mm thick each = 2mm thick total) .

The Lee 156 Chocolate Polyester sheet filter was cut to fit the back of my lens, and taped in place.

The Tiffen Sepia 2 filter is a 52mm filter, and it was used on the front of my lens, as was the IR Chrome.

Nikon D7000 UV/IR, 18-55mm VR lens. All Aperture Priority F10.

Lee 156 Chocolate transmission graph

post-87-0-59337400-1580080946.jpg

Lee 156 Chocolate (rear of lens mounted)

post-87-0-24726000-1580079553.jpg

Tiffen Sepia 2 (front mounted)

post-87-0-06833600-1580079563.jpg

IR Chrome (front mounted)

post-87-0-33631700-1580079576.jpg

Cadmium,

The tiffen sepia filters are 1 and 2 for strength. The #3 is a soft filter added to the darkness of a #2. So not stronger.

This does look cool.

I have a tiffen sepia #1 and 2 and will have to try this.

eye4invisible
Interesting tones. The first one renders similar to the brown sunglasses filter I had made up (cheap 54mm diameter round sunglasses inside a 55mm UV filter ring.

Interesting tones. The first one renders similar to the brown sunglasses filter I had made up (cheap 54mm diameter round sunglasses inside a 55mm UV filter ring.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades, I gotta wear shades..."

• 1 year later...

Couple of months ago I tryed to shoot with Cokin P004 Green and also get SOOC more bright Purple/Lightviolet colours on vegetation. But I'm also tryed Chris James 156 Chocolate (as equivalent of Lee 156) and I got more grey or dark looking images whithout expressed purple you shown. 

As well I tested old soviet color filter ЖЗ-2х for black and white film photography on my full spectrum camera and also obtained an intresting results

Cokin P004 Green
DSC01184.JPG.5e763cfc9c41681d4eea3cca1b791e01.JPG

DSC01177.JPG.1b2903efa27155473e135407b7b5cbf0.JPG

Soviet ЖЗ-2х Color filter
DSC01419.JPG.ce1bfe40f920bc413ae6772b2fb94d98.JPG

Looks good
The last with the Soviet ЖЗ-2х Color filter is really nice.
I would like to own one of these Soviet ЖЗ-2х Color filter.