UltravioletPhotography

Best (affordable) alternative for B+W 099 filter?

Nisei

Yeah and not just one but two!

So I googled "B+W 099" and here's another real picture of one:

https://festima.ru/d...bw-58-mm-ir-099

That one looks orange. You'd have to really mess up the white balance of my pics to get it to look like that.

It looks like a newer version though (mine both have the slanted inside ring that holds the filter inside the frame).

Could it be it has changed over the years?

I know in the film days, the recommended filter was always #12. Perhaps B+W adapted the filter for use with digital IR photography? (sounds unlikely since it still has the same number though)

After looking around the internet for 099 photos, I find some fairly inconsistent color examples, so I went back to the B+W pdf catalog (handbook) for their color examples.

Also note the color examples of the 040 and other Black & White series filters on the Schneider link toward the bottom of the page.

All of these examples show the 099 and 040 as being orange.

https://schneiderkre...nd-100-series-1

post-87-0-97157800-1578117128.jpg

post-87-0-81912800-1578117140.jpg

But here are a few pictures of my 099 filters taken in daylight. As you can see I have one of them mounted inside a Nikon to E-mount adapter but the color is exactly the same. This is exactly as I see the filter color with the naked eye so I really don't understand why both my 099 filters are so different from your 040 filter. My 099 filters look more like Tiffen 12 or B+W 023. And like I said, I got them from 2 different sources. One is 52mm, the other 49mm.

I also think your filters look more yellow than my B+W 040, even if the colour information might be changed due to WB etc.

The boxes, booklet and containers look quite old, definitely from before the digital photography was born.

With analog film photography processing of the film had very much influence of the resulting images.

I suspect that the filters glass source was before Schott started with their modern series of filter-glasses.

Schott Jena had a series of orange filter materials similar, but not exactly the same as OG530 and OG550 called OG2, OG3 and OG4

It might be that B+W 099, before modern filter-materials was produced with some of those, and then different to the 040-filter.

I came across my B+W 099 filter finally, it is a 55mm filter, but it is the same color as the B+W 040 and the Schott OG550.

Here they are together.

post-87-0-08275000-1578124785.jpg

Thanks for the picture Steve!

I also think your filters look more yellow than my B+W 040, even if the colour information might be changed due to WB etc.

The boxes, booklet and containers look quite old, definitely from before the digital photography was born.

With analog film photography processing of the film had very much influence of the resulting images.

I suspect that the filters glass source was before Schott started with their modern series of filter-glasses.

Schott Jena had a series of orange filter materials similar, but not exactly the same as OG530 and OG550 called OG2, OG3 and OG4

It might be that B+W 099, before modern filter-materials was produced with some of those, and then different to the 040-filter.

Yes, this sounds like a viable option. I will ask B+W about it. The 2 filters I have are both from the same era (I guess 70's).

This makes me wonder: the graph Tiffen sent me yesterday also looks to be pretty old and has the name changed from Deep Yellow to Orange.

Online pictures also show it as deep yellow and in other cases orange. Sounds familiar :cool:

This is really strange. I wish I could measure the filters.

If you want and trust me enough, I can measure your filter(s).

I have equipment and knowledge to do that well.

The result would be interesting to publish here.

Send me a message privately, if you are interested.

I think they are one or two decades older.

Then there were many companies in Germany that made camera-filters.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fphotobutmore.de%2Fvintagephoto%2Ffilter%2Fhersteller%2F

Since his filters are screw in type and not in the series system, like a series type vi, the I would say 1970s. From 1930 to 1970 the series system was popular and filters clipped in. Then moved to screw type filters. With infinite number of step rings.

Now people want to go back to clip filters and add magnets.

Since his filters are screw in type and not in the series system, like a series type vi, the I would say 1970s. From 1930 to 1970 the series system was popular and filters clipped in. Then moved to screw type filters. With infinite number of step rings.

Now people want to go back to clip filters and add magnets.

There were threaded filters that also was popular beside the series filters. They existed in parallell.

See the B + W BIERMANN & WEBER, BERLIN / JOHANNES WEBER, WIESBADEN-section in my link above.

"Three B + W screw-in filters E40.5. The filter on the far left in the photo dates from the mid-1950s, the other two were made around 1965."

I do not know the relative popularity ratio between series and treaded filters but threaded types definitely were available before the 1970s.

That the series filters mostly became obsolete in the late 1970s is not a strong indicator of age for threaded filters.

The filter tread was reasonably common on lenses early. There you could mount a threaded series filter adapter or a threaded filter.

Lenses without filter treads relied on other clamping systems.

I came across my B+W 099 filter finally, it is a 55mm filter, but it is the same color as the B+W 040 and the Schott OG550.

Here they are together.

I've just received my Tiffen #16 and it turns out I had a Hoya O (G) I'd forgotten about.

Here they are next to eachother. The 099 is the yellowest of the bunch while the Tiffen and Hoya are really close to one another but the Hoya being just a tiny bit more orange.

Still nowhere near as orange as your 550nm filters though.

My second 099 filter is on its way to Ulf since he's going to measure it.

post-244-0-30962000-1578749583.jpg