UltravioletPhotography

enricosavazzi

Seriously though, I am very interested in this topic, because I have long looked for material that show yellow and other colors in UV.

This is a very interesting subject.

By the way has anyone tried saffron in UV?

I haven't tried my spices yet. But I do have some left over saffron. I may try it with some fresh turmeric. I have pounds of turmeric and interested now in what the root may look like.

I got some saffron, expensive stuff. Have not tried a UV shot with it, it is night time here, and I want to do it in natural sunshine.

I don't know how to make the isopropylene extract, but I will start with a simple shot.

I am not expecting much, because that is usually not the case, but worth trying...

I guess I can always put the left over saffron in my eggs or whatever sometime.

When experimenting with liquid colour-extracts I think that a flat piece of hardened plaster of paris could be a good substrate as it is rather UV-reflective and still porous and absorbent.
Andy Perrin

This is just on printer paper (made by Caliber). The dye is blue dye (FD&C blue #1), the lens was the quartz Resolve one, the filter was 330WB80, camera Sony A7S, and it was noontime sunshine with a blue sky. Whitebalance was done in-camera off PTFE.

Honestly, the paper looks pretty white to me (after the PTFE WB) -- unless going for scientific reproducibility levels, plaster of paris may be overkill.

post-94-0-04579000-1564934291.jpg

Honestly, the paper looks pretty white to me (after the PTFE WB) -- unless going for scientific reproducibility levels, plaster of paris may be overkill.

Absolutely!

For quick testing it is overkill, but if a promising dye is found, plaster of paris might be a convenient material-base for proper colour patches.

It soaks well and have low specularity.

Andy Perrin

Same MO as the food coloring test:

The lens was the quartz Resolve one, the filter was 330WB80, camera Sony A7S, and it was noontime sunshine with a blue sky. Whitebalance was done in-camera off PTFE. Exposure was F/16 ISO100 6"

Sharpie pens:

post-94-0-66651800-1565024485.jpg

Top: Bic brite liner highlighters

Bottom: Crayola Take Note! highlighters (these are erasable, and the entries labeled "invisible" are the corresponding eraser inks)

post-94-0-20404800-1565024521.jpg