UltravioletPhotography

Don't Forget about Filter Maintenance !

Andrea B.

Bill De Jager

Calm down, you can use what you choose, but na, your freaking out. Ethyl alcohol is in beer, wine, brandy...

Yeah, a lot of things in your house could kill you if you swallow them. We aren't swallowing this stuff. Use what you want, but ethanol is safe to use for cleaning a lens or filter.

Read about it...

https://en.wikipedia.../Ethanol#Safety

We were primarily addressing the issue of cleaning oxidation from filters, as far as all that goes, the ethyl alcohol (Eclipse) can be omitted.

Hydrogen Peroxide and/or Cerium Oxide are the two things I recommend for removing oxidation. The Ethanol will not clean the oxidation, it simply helps remove the remaining HP.

So just clean the hydrogen peroxide off with a very absorptive cloth that is suited for lenses and filters, it may take a little longer because of the high water content.

???

Nisei was talking about methanol, not ethanol. There is a world of difference in degree of toxicity. On the other hand, common household isopropyl alcohol is also toxic, though a quick internet search suggests that it's considerably less dangerous than methanol.

Ah yeah, your right, I read the Zeiss pdf wrong also, sorry about that.

Methanol (Methyl Alcohol) not Ethanol, my mistake.

https://en.wikipedia.../Ethanol#Safety

However, I am still not concerned about the use of Methanol, it is used for and in a lot of things, and unless you are drinking it, then it is useful.

Sorry, my mistake.

Here is the Eclipse cleaner I mentioned:

https://photosol.com...se-optic-fluid/

Like I said above, you don't need to use this to clean oxidation, it will not clean oxidation.

I just added that step because that is what I use to remove the water when clean off hydrogen peroxide.

And once again, the final step is polish with a clean microfiber cloth alone.

Acetone? The stuff that is in fingernail polish remover? Hmmmm......I wonder if fingernail polish remover would work???

I would be very careful with acetone on filters. It does interesting things to coatings and plastics.

Yes nail polish remover is acetone.

I guess if you knew your filter was uncoated glass than you might be ok. But I still would be careful. If you want to dissolve the glue holding the glass layers together, then I would first try acetone.

Nailpolish remover usually contains oil as well. Better use pure acetone.

Ethanol is not readily available in many US states.

It is, just not in its drinkable form. Just look for fuel for ethanol/alcohol stoves. It's usually +95% bio-ethanol and contains a little methanol to make it undrinkable.

It's very cheap as well.

Nisei,

What you are speaking of is "denatured alcohol". This, in the U.S. is not ethanol.

"
Denatured alcohol is used as a
and as fuel for
and
. Because of the diversity of industrial uses for denatured alcohol, hundreds of additives and denaturing methods have been used. The main additive has traditionally been 10% methanol, methyl alcohol, giving rise to the term "methylated spirits". Other typical additives include
, and

"In the United States, mixtures sold as denatured alcohol often have much greater percentages of methanol, and can be less than 50% ethanol."

For those who have done a significant amount of French polishing, we do not use denatured alcohol, as we never know the actual denaturants used. Pure ethanol is the favored thinner for the polish.

Here is one 70% ethanol denatured alcohol -

David, I use acetone to degrease and clean filter glass. I have observed some of my glass suppliers also doing this. Acetone can remove some UV optical cements, but if the bond has set, even immersion in acetone may not cut the cement. There are other, nastier, compounds required to separate well-bonded glass layers. :)

I was just reading a microscope repair manual,where they suggest acetone as one of several cleaning solvents. They pointed out that nail polish remover is acetone, but to make sure it says 100% acetone, as not all are pure acetone.
Most nail polish removers assuredly are not pure acetone: I have learned the hard way :sad:

What you are speaking of is "denatured alcohol". This, in the U.S. is not ethanol.

We have denatured alcohol here (the Netherlands) as well and it's called Spiritus (same as your "methylated spirits"). Its color is blue/purple and it smells bad. But now that alcohol stoves have become popular they're selling fuel specifically for those and it's labeled Bio Ethanol ≥ 95%

I was assuming it was being sold in the US as well but it seems I'm wrong.

BE.jpg