UltravioletPhotography

Lee Blue filter test to get the Aerochrome Red in camera

dabateman

Hello everyone. I'm new here and first of all I'm sorry for my bad English.

I'm was inspired of all of these posts over there about crafting IR Crome alternative and decided to do by my own one. 
From the other posts at UVP I found out that Russian optical glass СЗС-24 is pretty close to Shott KG3, so I found one piece of it in small ring holder from old lab microscope kit. It was in poor condition and smaller than filter ring of my camera lens but it's good enough for few tests. Lee 729 filter is also not easy to find here in Russia (only big rolls available left in stores I found) so I decided to use anything that easy to find instead. I bought piece of Chris James 183 Moonlight filter. And as the result I got SOOC this. Still much different from IR Chrome but it just a test. 

Now I want to buy some new СЗС-24 glass with find #729 gel and laminate it. The only thing I'm worry - is glue. Which one is better? I thinking about transparent glues for smartphone touchscreens like UV curing LOCA TP-1000, TP-2500 or non UV curing B-7000 Glue. These are easiest to find here for me. Are the glues like these suitable for laminating IR filters?

The camera I used is full spectrum converted Sony NEX-3 with Sony E 2.8/16. CWB is about 6000K G9.
I'm also found some old soviet color filters for black and white film photography (there are some blue filters), I can test them too and share results.

Thank you, and sorry for my bad english. 

DSC01226.JPG.d77c099c0c43d3a03f903b4b80ad67f5.JPG

DSC01348.JPG

10 hours ago, Andy Perrin said:

Lovely photos Borislavo. Why don’t you avoid glue and just sandwich the gel between glass?

I want to make it more solid and reliable to prevent from dust entering into the sandwich. And, by the way the gels I bought in small cut pieces are scratced a bit (colored dye is ok, only base have scratches), so I believe that the glue will fill in the scratches and compensate for possible distortions from them.

14 minutes ago, Borislavo said:

I want to make it more solid and reliable to prevent from dust entering into the sandwich. And, by the way the gels I bought in small cut pieces are scratced a bit (colored dye is ok, only base have scratches), so I believe that the glue will fill in the scratches and compensate for possible distortions from them.

Lee gels are not water resistant.

I didn't knew that Lee gels are not water resistant, but I'll definitely will make some water and isopropanol tests with my Chris James gel

Each Lee gel is a little different.  So best to test a small cut section. 

They are just polyester soaked in dye.

Some are sensitive to isopropyl alcohol,  others water or cleaning fluids. 

Don't know until you test it.  

19 hours ago, dabateman said:

Each Lee gel is a little different.  So best to test a small cut section. 

They are just polyester soaked in dye.

Some are sensitive to isopropyl alcohol,  others water or cleaning fluids. 

Don't know until you test it.  

Well, I have tested how two gel filters I have (156 and 183) reacts to water, isopropanol and Zhanlida B-7000 (non-UV curing) glue for touchscreens and lcd displays (the only glue like this I have by now). And there's what I' found out:

-Chris James 183 Moonlight Blue:
No reactions with water
Reacts with 
isopropanol - dye wiping out with q-tips from one side

Reacts with B-7000 glue - dye dissolves at the point of contact with glue from one side

-Chris James 156 Chocolate:
No reactions with water
Reacts with 
isopropanol - dye wiping out with q-tips  from both sides

Reacts with B-7000 glue - dye dissolves at the point of contact with glue from both sides

So the conclusion - there's need to look for other kind of optical or transparent glue for this. 

34 minutes ago, colinbm said:

Rosco filters are colour fast, the dye is in the polyester / Mylar film.

As I know only Roscolux or Rosco Supergel is only body colored gel filters. I suppose that these filters are more resistant to glue or isopropanol. But there's few issues - I didn't find the exact match equivalent of Lee 729 in Rosco Supergel lineup (Supergel #95 is described as equivalent for Lee 116 and 729 at the same time which is sounds strange to me) and Rosco Supergel is very hard to find in stock here in Russia, espicially in small cut

I found some charts which is show numeric equivalens betveen Lee and Rosco Sepergel filters. 
Can I post the links here? 
Supergel-1.jpg.2a0f573c42d342099847586f06b8932b.jpg

Good. 
Here the charts I found:

This is for LEE = Rosco e-colour+ = Roscolux
https://us.rosco.com/en/lee-rosco-equivalents

This is mostly the same but + cinegel equivalents
http://www.shop-veranstaltungstechnik.ch/shop/ProdukteDetails/LeezuRosco.pdf

And this is for equivalents betveen Rosco Supergel and Lee gel filters. The intresting point here is that when there is no exact equivalent match for some Supergels in Lee lineup a replacement with a combination of two other LEE filters is proposed to get similar color result
https://www.lightmoves.com.au/downloads/Downloads/Comparison Tables/Lightmoves_Rosco-Supergel-to-Lee-Filter-Comparator.pdf