UltravioletPhotography

NP365. Is this bandpass filter worthy?

BruceG

Sometimes OD3 is not enough, at least not in my UV-setup.

I have found some very UV-dark (black?) flowers with high a IR-reflectivity

With my Baader U I can see some IR leakage in the images, not present with my S8612, 2mm - U-360, 2mm stack.

My Baader U, as worst is slightly better than OD4 at 732nm while the stack is at least OD5 or better.

Looks very similar to this one, which does give some data at different wavelengths; http://midopt.com/filters/bp365/

Be interesting to get one of these and do some controlled measures of transmission spectra - I'm not a huge fan of Chinese internet spectra.

BruceG, can you share where you are getting yours from?

Jonathan, that filter is fairly horrible. If this chinese one is the same than a waste of money. 1.27% at 420, 0.11% at 470nm, even 0.06% at 530nm, this is bad.

The Baader venus 2 has almost 0.01% at 720nm and this IR leak I can sometimes pick up with the SD14. This filter seems useless at these allowances.

Jonathan, that filter is fairly horrible. If this chinese one is the same than a waste of money. 1.27% at 420, 0.11% at 470nm, even 0.06% at 530nm, this is bad.

The Baader venus 2 has almost 0.01% at 720nm and this IR leak I can sometimes pick up with the SD14. This filter seems useless at these allowances.

I don't disagree, it does look bad, and I'm not thinking of getting one. However I shared it as it looked to be very similar to the spectra in the first post.

My Baader U, as worst is slightly better than OD4 at 732nm while the stack is at least OD5 or better.

Yes, best to have under OD4 or OD5.

SteveCampbell

Got me convinced. Found a 1mm S8612 for quite a low price and pulled the trigger:

[removed]

(due to the relatively small UV photography community I'm assuming the maker is someone on this site, so the link will likely not be news to many)

:excl: !!! DANGER DANGER DANGER !!! :excl:

Bad bad idea to ever pull the trigger.

That site is a fake. I hope you didn't use a credit card.

That 'listing' is a complete copy from UVIROPTICS eBay or Etsy listings, photos, text, all except the price.

UVIROPTICS is a legitimate seller, and eBay and Etsy are legitimate and secure sites to purchase from, but the site you linked to is not legitimate, everything it shows are all copied from other sites.

I don't know who or what that is, but it is not what it says it is, it may even just be a way to get credit card numbers.

I would be very concerned if I were you.

Try finding a location for that place, there is none. If you have used your credit card, you should call your credit card company NOW and block that purchase.

It is unethical and very suspicious for a seller to copy and past other sellers listings like that.

The photos are not photos that site made, the item is not an item that site sells.

If you even get something, it will not be what is shown or advertised.

Also note the logo is basically a copy of the Newegg site logo... Newegg is a legitimate seller, but this link you posted is NOT!

HUGE FAKE, HUGE SCAM, BEWARE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newegg

Also, even 1mm thick S8612 may not be enough to suppress that filter.

But all that is almost a mute point at this juncture... You should block that purchase, block that seller.

SteveCampbell

:excl: !!! DANGER DANGER DANGER !!! :excl:

Bad bad idea to ever pull the trigger.

That site is a fake. I hope you didn't use a credit card.

That 'listing' is a complete copy from UVIROPTICS eBay or Etsy listings, photos, text, all except the price.

UVIROPTICS is a legitimate seller, and eBay and Etsy are legitimate and secure sites to purchase from, but the site you linked to is not legitimate, everything it shows are all copied from other sites.

I don't know who or what that is, but it is not what it says it is, it may even just be a way to get credit card numbers.

I would be very concerned if I were you.

Try finding a location for that place, there is none. If you have used your credit card, you should call your credit card company NOW and block that purchase.

It is unethical and very suspicious for a seller to copy and past other sellers listings like that.

The photos are not photos that site made, the item is not an item that site sells.

If you even get something, it will not be what is shown or advertised.

Also note the logo is basically a copy of the Newegg site logo... Newegg is a legitimate seller, but this link you posted is NOT!

HUGE FAKE, HUGE SCAM, BEWARE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newegg

Also, even 1mm thick S8612 may not be enough to suppress that filter.

But all that is almost a mute point at this juncture... You should block that purchase, block that seller.

Thanks Cadmium, checking it out now - should have paid a little more attention