UltravioletPhotography

Is it possible to use Sony A7S Mark II for UV/IR?

Andy Perrin

Andy Perrin

Andrea, 12MP is fine, I already factored that into my decision making (btw I think you have a typo up there — you have A7S listed twice as both 13 and 36 MP).

I am talking about this:

ISO Range (Stills)

Standard / Expanded 100 - 102,400 / 50 - 409,600

What is “expanded”? I don’t know how to make sense of this. How can they have a REDUCED gain of 50? Is it like using a neutral density filter?

....merciful heavens, this morning I keep "forgetting to add"....must have stayed up way too late last night watching Colbert and the guy who is on after.

I forgot to add: I have a converted Sony a7R which has been in use (lightly) for a couple of years. Although I never fully mastered getting the best "look" from this cam, I do not recall seeing any problems produced by its lossy compressed raw so far.

My basic complaint was that I found the a7R's tiny buttons and shape a bit un-ergonomic. (Yes, its odd for a female to complain about tiny camera buttons because usually our fingers are smaller, but these a7 bodies are really too small for me!) A typical M42-mount or F-mount on the appropriate adapter really made the cam+lens very front-weighted. I always felt like it would be a good idea to have an extra support under the adapter or lens whenever on tripod. In hand, of course, that's not a problem.

So Andy, look on KEH.com for a good used a7, a7R or a7S and give it a try!

How can they have a REDUCED gain of 50? Is it like using a neutral density filter?

I cannot answer this technically meself - would have to look it up - but that is a good analogy. A Lo ISO (below base ISO) lets you use longer speeds, so must be useful for those moving water photos. :D

And, Bruce, thanks for the input about your Sony a7S !!

I FORGOT TO ADD.....

geez lady get a grip....

:wacko: :blink: :lol:

I forgot to add that you'll have to factor in the cost of lens mount adapters. And I've personally come to the conclusion that this is not an area where you should try to cut costs too much on a Sony Alpha body. You will need to be careful with such a small camera body to use a well-made lens mount adapter which will not pull on the camera mount and warp it. Well, any adapter and lens is going to pull on the camera mount, isn't it? Here is a link to a Sony lens mount replacement which would also be a good idea.

https://petapixel.co...-mount-cameras/

We use these cameras outside their specs so we do have to pay attention to the extras needed to prevent certain problems. If using Sony lenses designed for Sony bodies, this mount issue likely does not occur. But with old heavy metal lenses and long adapters, there really is a front-weighted pull on the existing Sony mount. And if using rigs in field conditions like Bjørn and I so often do, there is even more stress on the system that must be managed.

edit: added a second paragraph because I am utterly lame-@33ed this morning and am failing to be complete. sorry! I'll just have to go with it until it goes away.

Andy Perrin
I'm already using a Sony NEX-7, so shouldn't the adapters be exactly the same ones I'm already using? They are E-mount?

The caution is simply to be sure that any mount adapter fits well and

does not warp the existing camera mount ring which contains some plastic. :D

• 3 months later...
Andy Perrin

Update: I am now the owner of a Sony A7S! It has just been posted off to Lifepixel for conversion. Stay tuned...

By the way, the UPS insurance was murder. I ended up paying $101 for insurance. That's 10% of the camera cost.