UltravioletPhotography

Candlelight

Andreas

Pushing is simply for kicks and giggles. In fact such results can be very misleading, and maybe on purpose.

We do not know of any member here on UVP who would purposefully mislead readers, so this statement seems a bit extreme.

I did not mean to imply that any of the pushed examples previously in this topic (or any other topic) were made or intended to mislead, or that any members have done such.

Pushed exposures (such as I illustrate above, on the right) are inherently misleading, in my opinion, not completely without information,

but certainly not a representation of the real ratio of UV to Out-of-Band (visual, red, IR) content in the UV photo (left side).

Such extreme exposures can be misleading to those who don't understand that they are not examples of true ratio.

Once one is happy with the UV exposure, then take that exposure time (settings) and use it for the Our-of-Band ratio shot,

this will give you a meaningful example of any Out-of-Band content that might be present in the UV shot.

PS: That picture looks like George Clooney.

https://www.google.c...1.0.X27qT11aJI4

I totally agree with the method you have suggested. And also do use it sometimes. I've explained why pushing is done when testing filters (for manufacturers). We have to find out the point at which the filter begins to leak and try to verify that the stated OD reasonably matches the actual use of the filter or if we don't know it, try to estimate it by comparison to other filters.

That is George Clooney. I don't know why the Publisher Owner/Admin chose that avatar.