UltravioletPhotography

Nikon 8mm f/2.8 AI Fisheye - Filter Carousel

Cadmium

The U-360 shot may have picked up something besides IR in the sky area (visible blue?)

What did you put in the other carousel positions? You may have said, but I don't recall.

The U-360 filter, used alone this way as a dualband IR filter, looks the same way on any lens. This lens is not good for UV.

I have these installed at the moment:

#1 = Schott BG38

#2 = Y52

#3 = Hoya U-360

#4 = Schott RG715

#5 = Schott RG850

Nfoto has a fisheye that can do UV. I do not recall what lens it was.

Nfoto (Birna) have a Sunex 185° SuperFisheye 5.6mm F/5.6.

They are produced for Canon EF mounts and Nikon mounts and are designed for APS-C cameras.

I have one of those too and like it very much. It is supposed to be diffraction limited and mine is really sharp.

I use mine mostly for IR and have posted some images here:

https://www.ultravio...__fromsearch__1

The lens is is easy to adjust for a sharp infinity by loosening three grub-screws and rotate the lens's threaded assembly to the optimal setting.

I have noted and marked the optimal positions on the lens, for several of the small filters I use

I use putty mounting, in the rear end of the lens. That is space-wise the only option with my Canon 60D.

For UV I use one of the enhanced UV-pass filters from OmegaBob.

Get a leaky uv camera like a used Olympus and see what that u360 filter can see.

I still have to figure out my Fujinon 2.8mm f1.8 fisheye lens one day. That one doesn't have a filter holder but does see into UV.

My Peleng 8mm f3.5 fisheye just works with a 390bp25 filter that can be screwed into the back.

Now that I got an adapter made for my Sigma 8-16mm in Nikon mount. I might also test it for UV on my Olympus Em1. Its poor in the IR, so far with a Lp760 filter.

"you need to make this a separate thread"

That is what I was told, and why I moved these test pics here.

The point here is this lens, not UV capable lenses or U-360.

This is not a UV capable lens.

The U-360 shot is not a UV shot, it is a dual band IR shot.

Ok ok, it is great for IR.

Just remember that being an ultraviolet forum. The first thought, at least for me is, does this thing work for uv.

Followed by my second thought, how can I make this thing work for uv.

Then ok I can use it IR.

I would have used a 590nm longpass-filter instead of the U-360 to be able to shoot Goldie-images.

I like those better than the result using the U-360.

I would have used a 590nm longpass-filter instead of the U-360 to be able to shoot Goldie-images.

I like those better than the result using the U-360.

I don't think Cadmium likes orange, golden or yellow trees. He like them red. That's why he has a y52 there, no doubt for that Aerochrome look.

Cadmium,

You could swap out the U360 for a Chocolate filter and go all lavender on us though. Could be interesting.

A 1mm Kg5 plus 729 lee sealed with 0.5mm crown glass should work to get directly red with your lens.

I don't think Cadmium likes orange, golden or yellow trees. He like them red. That's why he has a y52 there, no doubt for that Aerochrome look.

Cadmium,

You could swap out the U360 for a Chocolate filter and go all lavender on us though. Could be interesting.

A 1mm Kg5 plus 729 lee sealed with 0.5mm crown glass should work to get directly red with your lens.

I was just sharing my preferences, not at all saying that Steve's choices was wrong.

I am sure he thought about how to get what he wants, before making those filters.

My preference including the 590nm filter is because I think there is something lacking between the saturated AIR-style and the rather muted colours you get from RG715.

What is a "Chocolate filter"?

Nfoto has a fisheye that can do UV. I do not recall what lens it was.

SUNEX 5.6mm f/5.6. You can manage to do rear filtration with it.