UltravioletPhotography

Red foliage with UV-IR cut filter + BG-3 filter

Hornblende

Thanks Hornblende! Still a cool shot!

OK, here is a shot with white balance on the lower part of the PTFE (Sparticle holder is PTFE).

BG3 2mm + BG40 2mm, incandescent light, 18-55mm VR lens. I hope that helps.

post-87-0-45187800-1489776820.jpg

Thanks Cadmium. I see we are all able to get a red foliage with this stack :D

Here is my plant taken with sunlight passing through my window. Same gear as above, WB on the defocused PTFE in the background. The red color is less saturated than with incandescent light.

post-136-0-85885900-1489779536.jpg

It is funny because there is a cultivar of this plant which has the same red leaves but natural :D

http://www.meteocity.com/medias/magazine/content/Oxalis_triangularis_2.jpg

Andy Perrin

Hah. But windows (modern windows) are often coated to filter IR for energy efficiency. Open window and try again!

(Filter is Hoya R72, lens is EL-Nikkor 5.6/80)

post-94-0-40667600-1489780412.jpg

This is a comparison test between the BG40 and BG38 stack versions, outdoors, cloudy/raining, white balance on PTFE.

So I am not getting the red from the BG40 outside in the rain anyway, but indoors the BG40 seems to work best with incandescent light bulb.

Now that I look back at my comparison overlay graph on the previous page, it is possible that your BG filter is BG38 2.5mm thick, instead of 2mm thick.

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=8921

Also notice in these tests below the added ball of WhiPur target material, but I was not happy with the white balance results using it as a target. ;-)

BG3 2mm + BG38 2mm, outdoor natural light, cloudy/rainy, 18-55mm VR lens:

post-87-0-01030800-1489789588.jpg

BG3 2mm + BG40 2mm, outdoor natural light, cloudy/rainy, 18-55mm VR lens:

post-87-0-67399700-1489789599.jpg

White balance results were quite different using Photo Ninja, a program I hardly ever use, so I am not expert at it:

Same as the first photo in my previous post above, but using Photo Ninja for white balance.

It would not let me select the PTFE area for white balance, which is probably the reason it is so different.

BG3 2mm + BG38 2mm, outdoor natural light, cloudy/rainy, 18-55mm VR lens:

post-87-0-02803600-1489817647.jpg

Photo Ninja is sensitive to overexposed areas and will not let you select them for white balancing. If you pick the black patch on the CC Passport, then you can get an approximate white balance from it.

Andy, I like the window shot.

Steve, the WhiPurr may not be commercially viable. Too bad as it is so often available.

This has been a really fun topic!

OK, one more test, sorry... had to do it, the sun came out today, all the lawn mowers are going, and I wanted to test the BG3 + BG38 again in the sun to see the difference.

This time I made a separate shot of the PTFE and Color Checker, so that I could center the exposure on the PTFE, but I only had it on center weighted, I should have used spot.

Then I white balanced from that and applied that white balance to the to the landscape shot.

I had to use the bottom right white square of the Color Checker as the white balance (see green arrow), it was just slightly more white than the PTFE.

So it still works in sunshine... but I don't think it looks quite as good to me as Hornblende's examples so far, time will tell I guess.

You can compare this sunny shot to the cloudy rainy shot of the same scene on the previous page:

http://www.ultraviol...&attach_id=8955

BG3 2mm + BG38 2mm, 18-55mm VR lens, white balance on green arrow white square using CNX2, sunshine.

post-87-0-58917100-1489965823.jpg

I think it is a pretty nice shot! btw I would love to have a backyard like yours :D

What would happen if you perfom the WB with photoninja?

In my case I do the WB with the software that cames with my Canon, it handles very well those weird WB.

If you send me the RAW file I could try with it.

That shot looks west, uphill. There will be a small house built there this year, which will inevitably pop up in my tests shots...

I tried it in Ninja, same thing, would not let me select either PTFE or the white square I used. So I need to retry that with spot exposure on only the PTFE to see what I can persuade Ninja into doing.

This pic white balances the same as the more orange example did in Photo Ninja above. :-/ I don't like the orange, and in fact I get that same look with B-410 alone.

CNX2 is similar to your Canon software, and LifePixel has a video showing how to use both of those I think. Unfortunately, CNX2 doesn't support any of my new Nikon cameras, they have NX-D (I think it is called),

but I don't like it as much, but it will work for the newer Nikons.

Since my RAW is a Nikon NEF I don't think it would work in the Canon software.