UltravioletPhotography

Pahrump Valley

nfoto

The Pahrump Valley is on the border between Nevada and California, US. We (Andrea and I) travelled through it on Highway 160 from Las Vegas to Death Valley. It was my first encounter with the southwestern US deserts and accordingly also the first time I shot this motif in UV.

Here are two views from the same stand point just to emphasize there are no set rules as to how a landscape is presented. Despite my standing in a blazing sunshine, the UV treatment enhances the feeling of alienation so easily perceived when you step out of your car in these hot deserts. Just shoot quickly because the Highway Police will arrive in a short while to ask awkward questions. Apparently showing such an interest for a mundane subject is uncommon.

The 'long' and 'short' views presented here are both taken with Panasonic GH-2 (Broad spectrum) using a Baader U 2" (Venus filter). Lenses were my humble Itorex 300 mm f/5.6 Mirror and the work-horse Noflexar 35 mm f/3.5, respectively.

PAHRUMP_E1202260600_UV.jpg

Image reference: PAHRUMP_E1202260600_UV.jpg

Turbulence caused by heat waves and the tendency of UV to create haze over distant scenes made focusing the little 300 mm a challenge, and getting top sharpness was not an option.

PAHRUMP_W12022606145_UV.jpg

Image reference: PAHRUMP_W12022606145_UV.jpg

Due to the restricted field of view of the 35 mm on the m4/3 format, I stitched three consecutive frames to bring forth the coverage I needed. Getting the cars placed according to plan in the framing was a hit and miss exercise so I had to run the three-frame sequence a few times. Strange how cars never drive past you when you need them the most.

Really, a very nice young Nevada patrolman simply stopped to ask if we were having car trouble. They've seen a lot weirder stuff than us two geezers making photos in the desert.
You're spoiling a good story, Andrea ... and later on that trip we did have some bizarre encounters with police patrols.
For sure later we did indeed encounter the Arizona triple teams of US Homeland Security, National Park Rangers and Arizona State Police - all quite well armed. Remember when they wanted to see the bottoms of our shoes?? :D :D :D