UltravioletPhotography

UV Drone

enricosavazzi

Holy smokes that looks like something I need Enrico! You find the coolest stuff. That cam seems too good to be true. Although it is a chunk of change. Impressive Dynamic range. That would fit on a drone, maybe my drone. UV video is going to the bomb when we finally nail it. Actually video with UVIVFL is beginning to sound intriguing. Walking my drone over my bog with the MTE attached would be neat. Dang, I need a hand held 3 axis gimbal! But walking around with a good cam with IS for UVIVFL is suitable for now.

[...]

Exactly, it is specifically designed to be used on a drone. It has nothing of the useless stuff for this application (like a built-in LCD screen) and all functions are remotely controllable via a custom interface. The Blackmagic site shows how to control the camera functions via a drone remote control. And it also seems designed to produce professional-quality video and to be mechanically strong enough to survive a rather bad drone crash, which most ordinary cameras cannot do.

Wow, I had not looked at the Blackmagic stuff in a while and had not seen that Micro Cinema Camera. What an interesting and well thought out design!

It is similar in size to the Sony QX series lens-style cameras, the Olympus Open Platform and the rumored Panasonic 3-sensor design. Any of these form factor should be flyable but the Blackmagic seems incredibly robust.

Question: how flyable would a Panasonic GF1 ot GF2 be? They were both compatible with Panasonic's little detachable electronic viewfinder and so have an intriguing little output socket that one could perhaps port to a remote wireless display and I think both had an HDMI port also. Used GF2s are on Amazon for under $100 so one could afford to crash a few of them for the price of that Blackmagic!