UltravioletPhotography

Canon 1D Mark IV unmodified for UV

Damon

I thought I would just keep this in the same thread. If it needs to go otherwise Andrea feel free to move around.

I took some sunlight pics with the aid of a couple modified Vivitar flashes of some Gazanias to record the response once again of the unmodified off the shelf Canon 1D Mark IV. I will continue this experiment as it works and is a simple procedure to implement. It was not blazing afternoon sunlight but was bright enough I thought. Without any flash at all, ie. only sunlight, it was still possible to record a UV image but not acceptable to my standards. I am going to try this again with full blazing sun and see what happens.

Anyway, the point is that I can take a fairly decent UV image with a stock Canon 1D mark IV camera with the aid of a couple flashes. The part that is different in this story is that I can take off my El-Nikkor lens rig and plop on my 70-200mm f2.8 lens (any regular lens) and fire away normal visible images all day long--and vise a versa.

So for what it's worth, I will begin posting more images. Forgot to put the UVIR-cut filter on the visible shot--darn. And no quadriptych either--just pure laziness.

Visible: Canon 1D Mark IV Unmodified, EL-Nikkor 80mm f5.6, 10 AM Sunlight, 1000s @ f/11 ISO 100, Auto WB

post-51-0-01894700-1433732445.jpg

UV: Canon 1D Mark IV Unmodified, EL-Nikkor 80mm f5.6, 2 Modified Vivitar 285 HV's Unfiltered, 10 AM Sunlight, 1s @ f/5.6 ISO 1250, Baader U filter, WB color temp 2500K

In an effort to bring the UV image into a palette more pleasing to the eye, I also inadvertently brought in orangish artifacts as well--oh well the point was the dark UV sig. It was kinda pale yellowish in the raw form. My old D70 actually caught a tad of this orange in UV. Next time I will post that image as well. Canon/Nikon sensors that can record UV apparently do it a little differently. I should set up this Camera and my D70 side by side and shoot some UV pics for comparison. Not that many are still using the D70. Still would be fun. I know it's not all in focus--this is a test.

post-51-0-19480300-1433732649.jpg

Diptych

post-51-0-13542100-1433733083.jpg

-D

The orange/dark_cyan UV version is rather fetching and 'matches' the visible orange gazania. :D

So, it takes 1 second with two flashes @ ISO1250 to get this exposure outdoors?

That does seem rather long to me.

But of course I do understand the benefit of not having to modify the Mark IV.

As long as you can 'get the shot', then it's all looking good. :D

Re: Fetching--thanks! :D

I do have a special spot in my heart for these little buggers. Something about them, maybe the cool UV sigs on all of them. Neat little guys/gals any way I look at them. And always tricky to find when I am looking for them.

Well 1 sec for now. Yeah it is a tad long and perhaps too long if the gods of wind or even their minions the "slight breeze" demi-gods are in the mix. In a bit I will try it in blazing light with a higher iso, (which doesn't seem to really make any detrimental difference in noise) as far as I can tell. I can probably go to iso 2000 and render it ok. W'ell see. Yeah I know it's not ideal.

Re: Get the shot

It's kinda coming that way for me with this setup. My exif data may not inspire blogging envy but I can render acceptable, and I will go out on a limb here--even good UV photos which was my goal all along. So the day to day realization is that I can take UV, UVIVFL, IR, Visible--with the same unmodified camera.

For me that is a worthy achievement.

-D