UltravioletPhotography

Happy Winter Holidays: Floating at Sea Level

Andrea B.

I've returned home after a month in Colorado at 7200' to New Jersey sea level - well, almost - our house is at about 150'. The incessant rains of the last 10 days have given new meaning to that phrase 'sea level'. My backyard is showing signs of river formation from the sheets of water which have headed down slope to make little washes and gullies all linked up around the shrubs and birdfeeder pole. The driveway holds a small lake. If we get some freezing weather, I'll have my very own Rink at Rockefeller - only lacking the decorated Norway spruce.

For me the outdoor UV shooting season has drawn to a close. Time now to get busy indoors and finish my botanical posts for the year 2014. And too, there's that huge backlog of UV work from previous years that needs wading through. I feel slightly silly to already be planning to add more to it with my Desert Wildflower Safari for 2015. But all those unseen UV signatures are waiting to be discovered! I just hope that the UV signature archive is useful to someone somewhere someday for some reason.

It is wonderful to see so many cool posts and comments from everyone here on UVP. (I have a lot to catch up on.) UV photography is a fascinating thing, and our members' investigations and experiments in 2014 have given all of us a grand inspiration to extend our own work in new directions.

To our UVP Members and our other UV Friends across the world,

we wish you

Happy Winter Holidays!!

:) :D :D

Thanks, Damon & Col.

I love hot, sunny US summers and also love dry, cold, snowy, sunny mountain climates (...noting in passing that both are very UV-laden, hmmmm....). But this grey cold damp chill of the US Eastern seaboard winter is hard to take.

Here is a really stupid question from a Northern hemisphere dweller for those living in Australia, but I honestly do not know the answer:

Is the Southern hemisphere hot season in Dec/Jan/Feb named "summer" and the cold season in Jun/Jul/Aug named "winter"?

-- OR --

is Dec/Jan/Feb named "winter" even though it is hot and Jun/Jul/Aug is named "summer" even though it is cold??

When it's summer in the Northern hemisphere it's winter in the Southern hemisphere- And vice versa.

Leading to Santa Claus being a surfer down under ...

Yes, Andrea, the Southern hemisphere hot season in Dec/Jan/Feb named "summer" and the cold season in Jun/Jul/Aug named "winter".

Just the opposite to you.

Col

It doesn't matter Andrea.

Just think of a white Christmas down-under as a different sort of white Christmas......white beaches, white waves rolling in from the Pacific, under the white Sun, with a white frothy drink in your hand & if I am lucky, a blonde on my shoulder.......what could be better :)

Col

oh man - the beach, the Pacific, the frothy drink - that sounds wonderful !! Perhaps we should arrange a Winter Convention of UV Photographers to take place in Aus. :) :D :D