UltravioletPhotography

UV Capable Lenses Seen on Ebay: Sept 2014

Andrea B.

[...]

If the lens threads will pass insidt the hole in the baffle a thin lens board retaining ring of less than 52mm outside diameter could lock it from the opposite side of the baffle. The baffle in effect becomes a lens board, no epoxy required.

[...]

If it is the same helicoid as mine, the inner diameter of the sleeve below the M52 threaded portion is 50.8 mm.

There may be space for mounting the lens with a retaining ring screwed on from the rear (after disassembling the helicoid), but only if the thickness of the retaining ring is 3 mm or less. However, this makes it time-consuming to remove the lens, e.g. for using the helicoid with another lens. Epoxying the ring from the front can be a little messy (just use masking tape on the sleeve interior and on the ring), but once it is done, changing lens is very quick.

Tip: before epoxying the retaining ring into the helicoid, try it on the lens and mark the position on the ring that corresponds to the index mark of the aperture ring. Then epoxy the retaining ring into the helicoid with the mark in correspondence to where on the helicoid you expect the index mark of the aperture ring to be located (usually uppermost, with the camera in normal landscape orientation). There is no guarantee that another lens will fit in exactly the same orientation, though.

True, Enrico, it would essentially preclude swapping lenses but surely a UV-Rodagon deserves a dedicated helicoid! :D

Besides one could still index rotation of index marks with the ring securing the lens through the baffle.

​What is baffling is that 2 of my 4 helicoids have heavier baffles that appear 2-3mm thick, might be a problem is lens threads are short.

However the threaded part of my 75mm Omegaron is ~5-6mm with ~2mm unthreaded where the board would be - so perhaps not a problem?

For Petri lens users having m43 cameras, this eBay item http://www.ebay.com/itm/181515057104 may be exactly what you require. So nice to use the original breech-lock bayonet again. He sells them in assorted colours as well. I picked blue.

The adapter seems almost hand-made, but otherwise works just fine with all my Petris.

Making a direct Petri-m43 adapter yourself is feasible (using Minolta MD > m43 and a female mount from a cheap Petri TC, plus shims and a little Dremel action), but the current e-Bay offer although a little pricey is far easier and secure solution.

Enna lens is made in Germany, Soligor - in Japan. Different manufacturers, hence there are many differences between lenses, both mechanically and optically.

Oh silly me :)

Well I am not expecting this price... but somewhere in the £30-40... I just don't know which lens is good. I got a Pentacon 30mm f3.5 a while ago but it's worst than the Tokina RMC 28mm... It was part of a bundle (Domiplan, Meritar, Pentacon). I keep an eye on the Zuiko mentioned in an other post... but I've got a feeling it won't be the price range I can afford now (pre-Christmas) :)

Have you checked the completed (sold) auctions on eBay to see how much such lenses cost these days? I am afraid you may have to multiply your budget by about 5.

I am selling my spare 20mm Zuiko here: http://forum.mflense...,p,1380848.html

It is one of the lowest prices you can find, and it is still a lot more than 30-40 GBP.

BTW, I have a lens that gives 135° coverage and will probably work rather well in UV. But to get that kind of coverage, one would need to use 5x7'' or 13x18 cm sheet film, not digital. I do not have a filter big enough to test it.

http://www.holovachov.com/img/s6/v143/p877326886.jpg

For Petri lens users having m43 cameras, this eBay item http://www.ebay.com/itm/181515057104 may be exactly what you require. So nice to use the original breech-lock bayonet again. He sells them in assorted colours as well. I picked blue.

The adapter seems almost hand-made, but otherwise works just fine with all my Petris.

Making a direct Petri-m43 adapter yourself is feasible (using Minolta MD > m43 and a female mount from a cheap Petri TC, plus shims and a little Dremel action), but the current e-Bay offer although a little pricey is far easier and secure solution.

I have two or three of these Petri breech-lock adapters from this seller and find them solid and acceptably finished. I considered the price an acceptable alternative to Bjørn's DIY Dremel action! :)

He also currently has them to fit four other mirrorless mounts for any of you who want to try the Petri breech-lock lenses:

Petri Petriflex Breech Lock Mount to Samsung NX mount (NX100,NX1000) adapter

Petri Petriflex Breech Lock Mount to Fujifilm Fuji FX (X-Pro1 etc)

Petri Petriflex Breech Lock Mount to Sony E (NEX, A7R, FS100) mount Adapter

Petri Petriflex Breech Lock Mount to Canon EOS M Mirrorless Camera

I am considering sending one of mine off the the machinist for conversion to accept on of the 39mm filter drawers like some of the Nikon telephoto lenses have.

Bjørn, do you know where I can find the dimensions of the Nikon 2478NASI?

post-24-0-18572000-1411967332.jpg

Just checked. It is Leica (LTM 39 mm) for the filter thread. The retaining lip is 43 mm wide and overall height of the holder (external) is 57.5 mm. The thickness of the part going into the lens casing is 8.5 mm (max.) and the holder itself is 4.2 mm thick. The filter will enter from one side only as the holder is asymmetrical. Thus the rim of the filter can at most be approx. 6 mm tall. You actually need to have replacement filter(s) mounted in the original Nikon filter rings as only they will be slim enough to fit. I surmise one can machine away more material in the Nikon holder to allow more usual filters, but then the danger of causing a light leak will be present.

Thank you Bjørn, for such a quick reply!

It sounds like the Nikon 2478NASI may be to large fit for this adapter. It might be better to have the machinist simply make one to fit.