UltravioletPhotography

UV Drone

Greeting my fellow light sensitive compatriots.

Nice to be back and I do have an update on my stock Canon 1D Mark IV (if anyone even remembers my goofy rigs) in good sunlight with UV. Got some Gazania pics to post shortly. The short of it--yes it works. And a quick lens switch and I am back to shooting regular vis. Of course there is more to it but for now please read on.

I have been flying drones around and am looking to try and take some UV video while in flight. I relish the idea of buzzing over a field of flowers etc. all the while shooting video in UV or IR. Or looking at a landscape from 500 or 1000 ft up. Drones these days can be more steady than a person can hold depending on which one you have. I realize that I won't have FPV/first person view (seeing live what the camera sees) as the camera will not be streaming the video back to me but that's ok. I will for now, just be hitting record and taking off.

What is:

--the lightest decent UV capable camera that also shoots decent video?

--lightest, fastest & widest decent UV lens that can be coupled to that camera?

--what is the total weight?

Thanks for all your thoughts!

-Damon

This may be a stupid question, but what might a modified cell phone camera (sans UVIR blocker) be capable of? Some older such cameras, such as that on the Palm Treo, were marginally UV-video-capable even with the filter in place, although with only 640x480 resolution. Many later phone cameras have much higher resolution. If you want small and light, that seems to be something to think about. It depends on what the threshold of decent is for you.

Been bogged down in the dark cedar swamps of Jersey with the Devil on my heels. Decided to come back out into the light.

Col, I don't recall you being without shoes or to have given up on shaving. It's true times are tough all over. You look happy though, so that's good.

I think I like the drones so much because of the desire to fly. With first person view you can be inside the drone and buzzing around at astounding heights even.

The go pro concept is interesting for sure. Never liked the fish-eye they give though stock. I think I can carry a regular small camera and lens though, so was hoping for a known combination.

That cell phone idea is also interesting. I am a tad leery of their light gathering capabilities right off the bat. But that is just a feeling and I have no personal evidence aside form my own cell phone video/picture capabilities. I have seen some amazing iPhone stuff come out but no fast moving videos with them. ie. where you are moving and not the subject.

-D

Yeah mate, life is just a beach here...........

Shaving & shoes....never had 'em to start with.......always just been me & me birthday suit.........I like it just like that.........even the girls get around like that..........

When ya get ya chopper goin', you orta come ova for a squiz ;)

Col

I know someone who uses NEX-5N for aerial UV photography. Newer cameras of this line (Sony E-mount) can stream live view via WiFi to a smartphone or tablet, and can be operated remotely that way. They can be coupled with native autofocus 16mm or 20mm lenses that are rather capable in UV.

Make that a pocket drone and fly among the bees to give us the real "insect's eye view" immersive experience...

On a more serious note, several people around here use various micro 4/3 bodies for UV, and Olympus recently announced what looks like the ideal product for your application (assuming it can be converted to UV).

Olympus recently announced what looks like the ideal product for your application (assuming it can be converted to UV).

I checked out that page. Interesting camera, but it is clear as mud how the control system works, and the short end of the zoom range is 14mm--not really wide enough for a 4/3 sensor in the air, I would guess. They say "interchangeable lens," but no line of lenses is mentioned....

Seems to me that with so many drones already equipped with on board cameras perhaps the question should be, which of them could be converted into full spectrum?

Interesting Alex. I will look into that. It would be nice to see some examples of his photos. The photo in the link for the 16mm from the lens sticky is broken so I can't see it but it sounds like the 16mm is really soft in the corners according to your testing. I don't care too much about that as you say it shows the floral signature nicely.

John, Enrico is onto something and given enough time, I am sure will crack it.

Even a Go Pro converted still needs the right lens though as I am sure the stock one is chock full of coatings. Ideally you are right.

They make consumer drones capable of holding a large professional SLR with lens, so if $$ was no object I would be flying around already with a converted full frame or aps with a bunch of lenses to choose from. My personal drone has real trouble lifting a beer half empty.

-D

Bill De Jager

Damon, I've only taken a few seconds of UV video. That was done with a broadband Panasonic GX1, a very light camera, and the video was decent quality (I didn't look closely at it). I don't know of any UV-capable autofocus lenses that would work with that camera, but you could always manually focus the lens in live view for the intended distance before takeoff.

The Sigma 19/2.8 is supposed to do decently well in UV. That lens is available in both micro 4/3 and E-mount, and the Sony A6000 is very lightweight and would autofocus the lens. Either camera would probably have to be a broadband conversion with a UV filter on the lens.

enricosavazzi

The Gopro Hero 4 Silver with standard lens is 83g if you don't use the waterproof case (147 g with case). Even a toy drone should be able to manage this. Things get complicated and heavy if you need a remote-controlled gimbal mount. The Hero 4 does not have image stabilization, so you should use short FL lenses if the drone is not rock-steady.

The camera is sufficiently sensitive to UV to record surprisingly decent video in sunlight. I am not there yet for what concerns recommendations for a suitable low-cost low-FL UV lens in S-mount (like the standard lens). There is a Universe Kogaku S-mount 9mm lens designed for UV photography that costs twice as much as a Hero 4 Silver and probably works well, but I have not tested it. At present I am concentrating on much heavier legacy lenses in C-mount.

The Baader U, Astrodon UV, and the Asahi Spectra filter based on the U340 are all available in mounted or unmounted 1" size and should be large enough to work with all lenses except fisheye. They are lightweight as well.

I checked out that page. Interesting camera, but it is clear as mud how the control system works, and the short end of the zoom range is 14mm--not really wide enough for a 4/3 sensor in the air, I would guess. They say "interchangeable lens," but no line of lenses is mentioned....

I haven't used it but I guess the camera is controlled by wifi, and since the API is open you can even develop your own controller if the Olympus app isn't to your taste. As for the lens range, it has the classic micro four thirds mount, so there are many native lenses available and many more can be adapted, although as you noticed it might be difficult to find something short and UV-capable for this sensor size. Sony makes something similar for E-mount (Nex) lenses with an APS-sized sensor, which may facilitate your quest for wide angles.

They say that it is said that Panasonic Lumix are the best for video.

Was that vague enough? I'm not entirely sure who "they" are. Or when "it was said".

But I know that the Lumix has been used very successfully for UV video.

I've managed an autofocus in strong light with my Pan 14-42 on my GH1.

As for drones, better have your fun now. The recent near collision of some airliner with some drone at 3000 feet does not bode well for the drone industry.

Thanks Bill.

Enrico, so you have tried to just put the Baader U over the hero 4 and taken video?

My available drones are fully gimbled and thus extremely stable with stock gear. They don't have hero's on them though. I could try it though. Autofocus would be king.

Andrea, ahh yes, the ole "that's what they say". Have you walked around and shot decent UV video with that GH1?

Yeah it's a good thing my old popular mechanics magazines were wrong in thinking we would be flying around in cars by now. Talk about airspace problems...

I don't fly in known flight paths or around populated areas. Nobody can tell me if I own the air over my house yet either. The lawyers will figure it out. :(

-D

Yep, I've made some good UV video with the GH1. But video is not my thing. I have no patience for it. Bjørn has a couple of examples that looked very good from his GH2. I'm sure there are more out there from other folks.

Not at all an idle question about who 'owns' air space over one's home!! We may not own the mineral rights under our homes. Back in Oklahoma you can find examples of oil pumps in people's yards from some decades ago. Now they can offset wells so it probably does not happen like that anymore.

Edited a statement for clarification.

enricosavazzi

Thanks Bill.

Enrico, so you have tried to just put the Baader U over the hero 4 and taken video?

My available drones are fully gimbled and thus extremely stable with stock gear. They don't have hero's on them though. I could try it though. Autofocus would be king.

[...]

-D

The stardard Hero 4 lens is no-go for UV imaging. The lens must be replaced.

The Hero series has no autofocus. It should not be a problem on a drone, though. Just set focus to parfocal.

Thanks Enrico.

Interesting idea Reed. I think I might even have something like that somewhere.

With the fully gimbaled drone, I can walk around with it, motors off and all and the video looks pretty cool as it it completely stabilized. So if I could ever get this going I could just walk around amongst some flowers and I think it would be kinda neat. There is a hand-held multi-axis gimbal that would work for our regular cameras too. It's expensive but flawless.

-D

enricosavazzi

A more expensive, potentially better alternative for UV video from a drone is the coming Blackmagic Cinema cameras. The existing Blackmagic Pocket Cinema might also be an alternative.

I started a thread in the Blackmagic bulletin board a couple of days ago, asking a question about the feasibility of removing the built-in filter in the Blackmagic Cinema. The filter seems to cover the whole bottom of the "mirrorless well", so it is clearly separate from the sensor package and might be relatively easy to remove and replace. No answers yet. We will see if I get a canned response of the type "you are not supposed to modify our product", or something more constructive (I just joined, so my initial post there is waiting for approval before it becomes visible).

Damon,

No-one has mentioned the Pi Noir, so I thought I would. The Pi Noir is the 5megapixel video - or still - fixed focus Raspberry Pi Camera module with the ICF removed (actually, never installed). It isn't mentioned in the literature, but I hope that means the sensor has immediate UV as well as NIR, capabilities. It is "a five megapixel fixed-focus camera that supports 1080p30, 720p60 and VGA90 video modes, as well as stills capture. It attaches via a 15cm ribbon cable to the CSI port on the Raspberry Pi." See https://www.raspberr...pi-noir-camera/

You'll need to buy a Raspberry Pi Model B+ for $25 with 512Mb DRAM, 4 USB ports, MicroSD for storage, etc.. Here is an article giving all the particulars -- http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-75905?ICID=rpimain-featurearticle-links

There are youtube videos using the Raspberry Pi camera streaming video over Wi-Fi to Iphones, and other devices. See
and
among others.

Holy smokes that looks like something I need Enrico! You find the coolest stuff. That cam seems too good to be true. Although it is a chunk of change. Impressive Dynamic range. That would fit on a drone, maybe my drone. UV video is going to the bomb when we finally nail it. Actually video with UVIVFL is beginning to sound intriguing. Walking my drone over my bog with the MTE attached would be neat. Dang, I need a hand held 3 axis gimbal! But walking around with a good cam with IS for UVIVFL is suitable for now.

Reed that is some serious open source rigging there. The kind of stuff that is great for experimentation. I wonder what the range is? I need to get deeper into it but I have to register. No big deal but man I am stacking up the sites to keep up with. :D

-D