UltravioletPhotography

UVF Pink Grapefruit

We found this  Grapefruit (Citrus × aurantium f. aurantium) at the bottom of the fruit bowl, just starting to become soft and inedible. It made a great subject for UVF!

Technical details:

UVF: Nikon Z7II with 105mm micro Nikkor lens. Memo 365nm torch, light painted: 10 seconds at f/22

UVF grapefruit comp lo res.jpg

Andrew Dayer

That is striking. Are you using a UV block filter or is the built in one good enough on the Z7II?

Here's the satsuma I was planning to have for lunch. Not quite in the same league, aesthetically 😁

IMG_20240118_125412.jpg

IMG_20240118_125343.jpg

Do you have a filter on the torch to block the visible light that it emits & a UV cut filter on the camera like the Zeiss T* ?

No I just use the torch "straight" without any filtration. I do have a UV "skylight" filter on the lens. I have tried several times over the years to try and white balance UVF images, without much success!

@Adrian When attempting UVIVF photography, it is desirable to have a strong separation between the UV light & the visible light fluorescence that you want to record.
The torch need to be attenuated as close to 400nm as possible & the camera need to attenuated below 420nm.
The best blocking filter for the camera is the Zeiss T*, but be aware there has been a fake detected, so purchase from a reliable supplier.
https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/consumer-products/downloads/photography/brochures/en/brochure-zeiss-filter-en.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

@colinbm @Adrian Have to add that i've tried UVIVF with about half the variety of fruits and vegetables available in my local shops. 
When using Zeiss T* filter, for me, there is very little difference, if at all (with unconverted Nikon D5500). Although it does cut some direct UV reflections, but sometimes you might like to see it. Was trying to find a use for this filter, for close up UVIVF photography, but i'm still not really convinced. The Zeiss T* filter is a little bit fluorescent and it does not cut, for example, NIR. Haven't tried it yet, but have a guess that Baader UV/IR-Cut would do a better job, and with about similar price.