UltravioletPhotography

Full Spectrum and dark reflections

VideoJohn

Not exactly sure how to explain this as I haven't done much experimenting with it, but the other day, I was shooting around in a retail space where they had those blackedout windows, and I noticed through the viewfinder, something seemed different about that dark. It seemed richer, fuller even. The words in this photo are not a reflection, the cars are. The words are a light through the window. This photo might give some notion of what I'm talking about better than just my words and it's what I took. This photo has been heavily processed, but the tones and clarity I could get from this dark reflection seem so different from what I would get in a normal camera.

What is this? Is this my eyes playing tricks on me, or is this something to do with spectrums? Is there a name for what is happening so I might research it further?

Not sure if it's related, but I'm currently messing with a reflection photo in a puddle that was made via a shadow, and it's sorta doing the same thing having a richer dark tone. 

dsc00272_$40_72dpi_web.jpg

For clarity, you were shooting with a full-spec camera with no filter on the lens? So this is a mix of visible and IR light? (And, what camera? what lens?)

I was thinking that to explore this further it might be useful to also make an IR-only version and a VIS-only version along with your VIS+IR version?? and then compare the dark areas. Just a thought.

The reflections and magically suspended neon sign do make for a fascinating photo.

Windows often absord a bit of IR, new modern windows at least. Sometime they reflect IR very strongly instead of absorbing them as a way to keep the interior cool (you see that only on new buildings).

But maybe the interior in your photo was lit by artificial light that only emits visible. So it is logical that the interior looks dimer to the full spectrum camera than to your eyes.

I'd say this is the f828.

I'd say this is the f828.

All those blues, yes? I think the F828 is going to become what is called a "cult favorite". The "cult" being all of us here on UVP. 😄 Ebay will sell out of strong magnets!

Isn't it interesting how there is always something waiting to be discovered in the world of UV/IR and its related areas?

•  

P.S.  A couple of days ago I went looking for all my little old cameras to see if I can work the Magnet Magic on one of them! I'll report anything interesting that happens.

Serious Question:  Can a strong magnet wreck anything inside a digital camera. Magnets inducing electricity and all that.... Is it possible to accidentally fry a circuit board? Kindly note that I have *no* EE background, so my question might be slightly stoopy. La! 🤪

4 minutes ago, Andrea B. said:

Serious Question:  Can a strong magnet wreck anything inside a digital camera. Magnets inducing electricity and all that.... Is it possible to accidentally fry a circuit board? Kindly note that I have *no* EE background, so my question might be slightly stoopy. La! 🤪

I cannot exclude that, but it takes some effort to induce a significant voltage. I have a coil of enamelled copper wire, with 500 feet (~150 m) of wire, and by moving neodymium magnets inside (sliding them in and out) I can turn on LEDs, so I make 3-4 V at most.

Static fields could magnetize things inside the camera, like the gears in watches, but I don't know how much of an issue this is with cameras.

1 hour ago, Andrea B. said:

All those blues, yes?

Actually it's more the noise that made me think of the f828. Plus the shot is on a telephoto with a lot of depth of field so it could as well be the f828 2/3inch sensor.

1 hour ago, Andrea B. said:

Can a strong magnet wreck anything inside a digital camera. Magnets inducing electricity and all that.... Is it possible to accidentally fry a circuit board? Kindly note that I have *no* EE background, so my question might be slightly stoopy. La! 🤪

Someone tested this, not completely on purpose : https://dprevived.com/t/f828-infrared-hack-magnet-issues/4284/

2 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

A couple of days ago I went looking for all my little old cameras to see if I can work the Magnet Magic on one of them! I'll report anything interesting that happens.

I found the original blog post that revealed the Hack, it was in 2014. I don't know if you saw this, but the magnet doesn't directly lift the hot mirror, but triggers an electromagnet that controls the mechanism that lifts it. https://www.schweinert.com/sony-cyber-shot-f828-ir-magnet-hack-in-2-seconds/

6 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

For clarity, you were shooting with a full-spec camera with no filter on the lens? So this is a mix of visible and IR light? (And, what camera? what lens?)

F828, full spectrum, no filter. VIS?

5 hours ago, Andrea B. said:

Can a strong magnet wreck anything inside a digital camera.

I've been told yes. Bigger point - why take the risk over a small inconvenience?