UltravioletPhotography

Tool for setting up stacking, TS-lenses and view-cameras

I have found a software-tool for setting up and planning for photo stacking (not macro) and using Tilt-shift lenses.

The Lumariver Depth of Field Calculator : https://www.lumariver.com/lrdof-manual/

It is also usable to set up an optimal hyperfocal-distance setting or optimal DOF for one shot.

The tool is very powerful and maybe a bit difficult to grasp at first, but after a while it becomes increasingly more helpful and easy to use.

I am still learning more each time I open the app.

There are several tutorials on the site.

We did this using the groundglass in the "old" days ...

The general [user] failure is putting the camera too low to the ground and trying to compensate by excessive tilt. That will never work to satisfaction, unless one is using a very wide lens and the foreground is flat.

Doing such things as setting up a TS lens/camera by trial and error is quite difficult.

There are equations that can help understanding how things work.

The app I found have very nice visualisations of what happens when changing different parameters, Not only for TS, but also for DOF and focus stacking.
I have been using the app both in the field, and sitting at home, just to learn more about optimal camera/lens-settings, and naturally to practice and learn the best way to use the APP.

It is a very powerful tool that can be configured in many ways, but when well integrated in ones workflow I think it will be quite easy to use and help improving my images as I will be able to focus more on the creative side, not burdened by all technical settings. 

The focal length between  different TS-lenses change the DOF field behaviour dramatically.

As I am mostly used to my TS-E 24mm, when I was beginning to use the TS-E 90mm it was completely different.

That the company behind the Lumariver Depth of Field Calculator is Swedish is a pure coincidence.

I have no relations what so ever to them, except as a happy user.

I learnt this the hard way with a view camera using 4x5" sheet film -- either you got it right in the field, or you would go bankrupt as purchasing and processing sheet film was quite expensive even in the film era.

9 minutes ago, nfoto said:

I learnt this the hard way with a view camera using 4x5" sheet film -- either you got it right in the field, or you would go bankrupt as purchasing and processing sheet film was quite expensive even in the film era.

I imagine that that burden of high costs was an effective motivator to do things as good as possible!

Today in the digital era the cost of a second shot is close to nil, but until you have processed the RAW-files you will not know if it is good enough. 

It is quite annoying to get home finding that you have missed something that might have been a good picture.

I often wait a few days to let the on-site impression wear off. 

What I like about IR + TS lenses is that you have to slow down, compose well and get all settings right.

Then the only thing left is to wait for the right light conditions that might add something extra to the image

We are in complete agreement, Ulf.

T/S and/or IR  photography benefits immensely from a slowing-down of the shooting process. The same can be said for any aspects of UV photography as well.