UltravioletPhotography

I Am Gob-Smacked !

colinbm

I Am Gob-Smacked !
At the age of 71 & getting close to the end of my intelligent life, I am just starting to see these results.
I have made some improvements with the Macro Rig & I have plenty of improvements to learn with image quality, I hope I can get there.

Here we have the surface of the Poor Old Faded Matchead, viewed at 100 x magnification !

150 images at 1.125um each step, stacked with Zerene Stacker, that makes the depth of approx 0.017mm.

2023-02-17-04_50.04ZSPMax_Ninja-Sharpentextweb.jpg.1274617e732f09f105ecc51bac960ce1.jpg

31 minutes ago, Andy Perrin said:

Awesome photo!

170um = 0.17mm, I think? 

Thanks Andy, yes I think you are correct.

it reminds me of the books that fascinated me as a child
"Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne

(the black and white film was ridiculous)

I'm 67 in about 40 days

it seems to me that many of us have white hair :-)

Col: At the age of 71 & getting close to the end of my intelligent life

No, not really true! With the UV/IR and macro adventures you are having, you will continue to learn and keep your brain young and growing. That is what matters, not your physical age. 🙂 

I realized I knew nothing about matches, so I went to look up some info and found this cool poster. Maybe others will enjoy it. This is from the Compound Interest website which has lots of interesting chemistry related posters. See www.compoundchem.com. (The poster is postable under Creative Commons license.)

matches.png

P.S. Col, I'm eager to see some macro flower pollen when/if you get that opportunity.

Thank everyone for your kind comments.

@Andrea B. Thanks, I'll hold you to this, No, I do push myself very hard mentally on purpose.
I also dabble in Early Australian history & especially Sydney, as well as the genealogy of these people & their descendants. So there is never a dull moment.
The genealogy & history I thrive on & it is very relaxing & I can do it for hours on hours, it is the thrill of the chase.
This UV & Macro photography is very taxing on the brain & I do need breaks. 
Building stuff to make the photography is most enjoyable & utilises the few trades I learnt & have equipment & resources to make these things.
Actually it is the journey that I find rewarding, then learning how to use the things & improve them is the hard learning that I find difficult because it is all new & I am getting forgetful & having to relearn somethings again the next day.
Life is good !
Yes my goal is to use these things to improve the UV & biology shots that this forum is about.
Pollen, OK can do it now.

lonesome_dave
4 hours ago, photoni said:

it reminds me of the books that fascinated me as a child
"Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne

Photoni, it reminds me of Fantastic Voyage (1966) when they were travelling through the guys arteries. It starred Raquel Welch who sadly passed away a few days ago.

Fantasticvoyageposter.jpg.22c7ba7ef362d8ee3f4b550c37f814ce.jpg

No comments on how old I am.

14 minutes ago, Nate said:

Very cool photo Colin, I'm liking these macro shots!

Thanks Nate, that is good, because there is going to be more.

(I had to rewrite this because I accidentally lost when I tried to edit.)

No, I don't see haziness, per se. There might be a minor bit of flare from the lighting, but I don't think so. Or, there might be a bit of Zerene Stacker side effects. Also, having gotten that far into the matchhead structure, it is also possible you are seeing some translucence of the material. 

For example, when I look at my calcite crystal under UV (or Visible), I can see partway into the structure. So it seems like it is a bit hazy, but that's not haze from optics. It is just because the crystal is not crystal clear, so-to-speak.

i hope that made sense what I was trying to say! 😀

@Andrea B. Thank you
Yes I understand what you have said.
I know I am pushing limits, so I have to be grateful.
The working distance is just 2mm, so most of the light is horizontal.
I have tried different diffusers, but they cut the light a lot & exposure time from 100ths of a second to 10ths of a second.
I have the equivalent of 200w, I can try to increase that to equivalent of 300w.