UltravioletPhotography

60x magnification of the Green Jewel Beetle's shell.

colinbm

60x magnification of the Green Jewel Beetle shell.
I would like to say thank you to the forum members for their help & encouragement in this endeavour to see the structure of the beetles shell that gives it its iridescence.
Ulf has been a great help with finding suitable objectives on ebay for me & his kind donation of a pair of linear actuators that can be manually turned at 0.00125mm or it has 200 divisions per rotation at 1.25um. This has allowed me to get 53 stacked images.
I think I will need a scanning electron microscope, perhaps in another life !

2022-12-07-12.02.09 ZS PMax_Ninja-Sharpen text web.jpg

It looks great though. You should image some other stuff at that magnification, looks like you could see many interesting things!

Fabulous capture. The details are incredible, and the image is quite beautiful. Wasn't sure you were going to be able to pull this off and you hit it out of the park. Thanks to @ulffor providing support and equipment to make this project a possibility. So @colinbmwhat will you photograph next?

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

Thanks Nate, Andy & Doug
@Doug A I still haven't finished with the Green Jewel Beetle as I am still building the stronger frame for the fine tuned X Y Z stage.
For me it has been about the journey of getting things rigid enough, but very finely tuned, to get the results I want, that is why I have stuck with this poor little beetle, just to keep one thing constant & see the progression.
I do have a collection of butterflies & minerals that I want to see more of in UVIVF as well as visible light.
Tomorrow is a new day so anything may come up.

I'd been great seeing all you steps to get here. 60x is a lot of magnification. Congratulations. Seems like a high point but perhaps there is more. Look forward to someday seeing butterflies.