UltravioletPhotography

Green Jewel Beetle with 20x Objective

colinbm

Green Jewel Beetle with 20x Objective a big improvement from the little Canon 20x f3.5.
I have changed the macro setup yet again looking for precision & stability, this is just OK for 20x magnification.
Only slight movement when moving the next step in the stack which is about 0.01mm, guessing 43 steps in just under half a millimetre. This is the very limit of fine adjustment with these macro rails used here.
I have a 60x objective coming & a fine 0.001mm step linear rail coming too.
I will be having fun over Christmas learning & making a suitable setup for 60x macro.

2054580092_2022-11-28-09_03.32ZSDMapNinjaSharpencroptextweb.jpg.d999663bb9c0b0569fcc06fade320c13.jpg

1106849967_2022112820xobjectiveDSCN0334web.JPG.be7b5737330944911b15789379c2c640.JPG

Looks interesting. 

If you want to attempt UV illumination, you can try to mount some lights on either side of the sample. Or if you still have any fiber optic cords, to connect them to your leds and position them tight to your subject. 

On 11/29/2022 at 2:58 AM, dabateman said:

Looks interesting. 

If you want to attempt UV illumination, you can try to mount some lights on either side of the sample. Or if you still have any fiber optic cords, to connect them to your leds and position them tight to your subject. 

Tried to do UVA but failed.
There are some small highly reflective pieces in the big holes, but the rest is far to dark to photograph.

Amazing results @colinbm. Your rail has great precision to make so many movements in one millimeter. 

Looking forward to more images.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A

@Doug A
Only about 1/3 of the Green Iridescent Jewel Beetle with 25 stacks in this image as I could see it wasn't going very well.
I don't think this is a suitable subject for UVA reflected imaging.

2022 11 30 Green Jewel Bettle in UVA web.jpg

The "stars" are stacking artefacts and may be signs of residual spherical and/or chromatic aberrations. Small movements of the specimen will also contribute.

Sometimes the issue can be at least partly mitigated by running very deep stacks (N>>100) and utilising the 'slabbing' feature of Zerene. Meaning slices of the stacks are combined into a single image, then these intermediate images being input to a second round of stacking.

Thanks Birna
I am making a whole new frame out of heavier aluminium sections & with <1um steps.
When this is made & will try this again.
In the mean time I will learn this 'slabbing' in Zerene.