UltravioletPhotography

UVF Satsuma (again!)

Adrian

I have on several occasions over the last few years posted examples of fluorescing mould on Satsuma oranges. This is one of the best examples I have found, with virtually no visible sign of mould. The only thing I found was when I went to pick it up - it was very Squidgy (technical term!).

Technical: Nikon D850 with 105mm micro Nikon. UVF: light painted with NEMO torch: 5 seconds at f/22.

comp lo res.jpg

Wow. Awesome find. Superb photo. Guess  squidgy would be a tip the oranges weren't edible? I don't check food with UV. Perhaps @colinbmhas a point. 

Thanks for the warning,

Doug A

Quite interesting! Looking at the Visible photo, there is no way I would guess that the center orange has gone squidgy. Does the stuff wash off? If you open the orange, does it look bad inside? Just curious.

I just bought a small bag of Satsumas. I'd better get busy with my own UV torch to see what I discover. 😃

Andrea,

No it doesn't wash off. When you cut into it there is no sign of mould, The segments are very soft and squishy. You have got me wondering now whether this is mould, or some sort of breakdown in the cells of the skin?

You have got me wondering now whether this is mould, or some sort of breakdown in the cells of the skin?

A good question!

I think if it were mold, you might see more obvious evidence (discoloration, patches of slight fuzz), but maybe not.

https://www.doesitgobad.com/do-oranges-go-bad/

That link discusses squidgy, squishy oranges. They say that excess softness is a sign the orange is "about to go bad". Still ok to eat if no discoloration or  fuzz. 

Ha! I've actually had one of those, but did not know it was named "Fuzzy Navel". Peach schnapps is quite good. 

Wayne Harridge

Really interesting topic!  As an amateur wine maker I'm wondering how this info might be applied to winemaking.  I suppose I should start looking at grapes under UV.

• 3 weeks later...