UltravioletPhotography

[UVC SAFETY WARNING] Anybody knows source for powerful unfiltered low pressure mercury lamps (not from China)?

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

[UV SAFETY] UV-C Light Is Dangerous

NEVER look at a UV-C light.

NEVER let UV-C light hit your skin or eyes directly or by reflection.

UV-C light can cause:

• severe burns of the eyes and the skin, and
  • DNA damage from broken chromosomes.

When working with UV-C illumination, you MUST:

• cover up completely, 
  • wear head & eye protection, and
  • have strong ventilation.

Hi, I want to buy a powerful low pressure mercury lamp that I can use from wall socket (220V) - ideally E26/E27 but can be something else if I can adapt it to wall socket.

I already have 3 bulbs E27 rated 25W.

I've found some more powerful but delivery time is 40+ days and source is China.

Does anybody know any particular model name/brand name so I can look directly for it?

I want it tyo produce as much as possible 253.7nm and 184.45nm (I want lamps that do not block this ozone genrating frequency). Ideally they should be up to 1 kW.

Would be really if anybody can provide any search hints...

I DONiT want LEDs - they are only 1% efficient, this must be mercury low pressure lamps, I can consider high pressure lamps but then filtering out other frequencies becoming extremely difficult while most of them also block UV-C which is the opposite of what I want...

[UV-C is dangerous]

lukaszgryglicki

I know, added a warning, anyway, any answers welcomed.

I want 184.45 line because I want to stress test UV-Nikkor. It is said it transmits from 200nm, maybe it is able to see 184nm too? Maybe hardly, maybe not, but why not check? I already bought two Edmund filters, for 253.7nm 10nm BP and for 218nm... I can buy third for 185nm.

We have had variations on the "EUV gets absorbed by the air" discussion before and while it's true, the actual amount of absorption still seems to allow quite a bit of light to get transmitted if the distances are under a meter from what dabateman said I think?

I didn't want to recommend anything,  as I don't want to be responsible for Lukas experiments. 

But in the winter when its really dry, much less humid air than in the summer, in a controlled space (keep the kids far away)  you can image within a meter. Most of my tests were less than that, closer to a foot or 30cm from my subject.  

But than my good light burnt out and I was refunded.  I can't afford to buy an other one now, nor can I keep the kids away as we are still isolating.

You aren’t responsible for Lukas’s experiments, David. We are all adults and we can be fools or not accordingly…

lukaszgryglicki

Thanks for the link, I'll contact them. I have an old ranch in the countryside when I can do experiments outside (time limits me severely recently) - I know what ozone is, what UV-C is and will be doing those tests outside and at night (so I will have minimal light pollution).