UltravioletPhotography

Is it possible to convert Nikon SB800 flash to full-spectrum

lukaszgryglicki

lukaszgryglicki

Hi, simple quick question: Is it possible to convert Nikon SB800 flash to full-spectrum

If so has anybody ever tried and can provide a spectrum of such converted flash? Or maybe just an approx range of wavelengts like from about 300nm to 1100nm?

Does it reach UV-B - like down to 300nm? (not even speaking about UV-C)

Have a look at the spectrum of a Xenon tube which in general matches the spectral curve of sunlight quite well, apart from some extra peaks in near IR.

Like sunlight, Xenon flash output declines fast towards 300 nm.

A stock camera flash like SB800 probably has a 'doped' flash tube designed to remove or reduce UV output.

The fresnel lens used for zooming such a lens is likely also made by polycarbonate that blocks all UV, even further.

If the tube is  'doped' it will not be enough to remove the fresnel lens.

Also normally you will need a rather big energy storage to get enough usable light for UV.

In speedlite-types like this there is not enough volume to hold a flash capacitor big enough for any substantial amount of UV-light.

I guess that the SB800 holds maximum 50Ws

Birna and some other members use big mains-powered studio flashes with non-tinted (quartz?) flash tubes for UV.

They are often 600Ws - 1500Ws

I like and use the portable battery powered Godox AD200 flashes with 200Ws.

I have published several topics including spectrograms of their output here.

lukaszgryglicki

Yeah, OK so it will give some UV-A and I shhould expect none to neglible UV-B.

But for IR it should be quite nice right?

Virtually any flash unit will be (more or less)  useful for IR. If you wish to work "invisible", ie. using the flash unnoticed by bystanders, you do need a decent IR longpass filter over the flash output window.  The old SB-140 Nikon hammer-type flash came with with filter packs for this purpose. The 'sister unit' SB-14 can use the same filters and is much easier to find, plus significantly cheaper as well.

As Ulf mentioned, I use Broncolor studio flashes run off A/C mains with output 800-1600 Ws. I considered adding a 3200 Ws unit, but found it easier to make a setup with 1-2(-3) smaller 800Ws units and possible add the 1600Ws for higher magnification work. They all have quartz uncoated flash tubes and the protection domes are uncoated quartz as well.

lukaszgryglicki

I see, thanks, maxmax has IR speedlights with 1um longpass - probably totally invisible, but I just wanted maximum light from my SB-800 - broadband.